History teacher Sophie Ehrlich inspires kids to be happy, learn

Rebekah Buchman
Sophie Ehrlich answers questions during her second period Honors U.S. History class on Nov. 20.

New teacher Sophie Ehrlich is standing in front of the class teaching students when just five years ago she was the one at these desks learning in this building.

Ehrlich worked for the democracy summer program in 2018 and came back to run it in 2021 up until last summer. She helped lead a program for students to get involved in a political campaign. In 2021 Ehrlich decided to come back to run the program to get rising seniors, juniors and college students involved with politics. ” I came back to run the program because I loved working on political campaigns and wanted to give that opportunity to other kids”

The program was made so that upperclassmen in high school and college students could get involved with a political campaign. In the program, they helped run a political campaign for a congressman. “I ran the program because I loved working on political campaigns and wanted to give that opportunity to other kids, ” Ehrlich said.

Ehrlich hopes to continue doing work in political campaigns in the future. She wants to work as a volunteer to allow other kids to work in politics. “I want to continue doing work like this in the future as a volunteer,” Ehrich said

Ehrlich uses the talents, skills, and habits she learned from helping run a political campaign in her everyday teaching. In a political campaign, you are trying to convince people of a thing. In teaching, it’s similar in ways. “ I apply the skills I learned in my teaching as in teaching there is a lot of getting people on your side and getting students to buy into learning about history,” Ehrlich said

Ehrlich has a unique style of teaching that students have come to enjoy. Ehrlich gives students chances to collaborate and have fun while learning history. “My favorite thing about Ms Ehrlich’s teaching style is how she lets us work and collaborate in groups on assignments,” freshman EJ Anderson said

Ehrlich graduated from this school in the class of 2017. Ehrlich then got her masters in teaching at Boston University and is in her second year of teaching and first year at this school teaching the honors US history course. Ehrlich served as a long-term substitute for Hoover Middle School and then decided to pursue teaching full-time here. “ I started teaching at Wotton because I always wanted to be a full-time teacher here,” Ehrlich said

Ehrlich has become a favorite among students. Ehrlich’s teaching style and her understanding of students’ home life and assuring them grades don’t define who they are as a human being causes students to like having her as their teacher. “ My favorite thing about Ms Ehrlich is how she is very good at not putting too much stress on their students and making sure students realize grades don’t define them and more teachers need to be like her,” freshman Ethan Kwon said.