David Bitler; living life with passion

Photo by Emma Karcz
Biology teacher Dave Bitler teaches his ninth-grade biology class during second period on Nov. 15.

Eastern Pennsylvania: a small-town boy is told by his teacher that he isn’t good enough to attend college. Because of this, biology teacher David Bitler now strives to support his students the right way. Bitler has been a beloved teacher here for 10 years and the last eight as a biology teacher.
Prior to that, he worked as a special educator at Wheaton for two years. Growing up a couple of miles from coal country, Bitler spent most of his time outside. “I didn’t really like science that much, but I liked the outdoors,” Bitler said. “I liked ideas around ecology and the world around me.”
It wasn’t until the end of high school that he found an interest in science and the arts. “I didn’t like science until I took physics my senior year of high school,” Bitler said. At Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania is also when Bitler discovered his passions and interests. “I had a really great experience in college where I had a physics and music class,” Bitler said.
Bitler recalls his high school experience along with 500 kids in rural Appalachia. “In terms of academics, it was much more you can do it or you can’t…rather than having teachers willing to help you,” Bitler said. “I don’t think there was a great emphasis on people moving onto great things.”
Now as a teacher, Bitler aims to create a healthy teaching environment for his students “Probably the most important thing you can do is learn how to learn,” Bitler said. “It doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going to be the best student in every class, but putting in that effort to become a better student each day.”
Sophomore Liv Resnick who had Bitler last year for biology, said he cares about his students as people. “He makes sure that all of his students are doing well,” Resnick said. “He is passionate about what he teaches and how he teaches it.”
Resnick remembers feeling hopeless about biology until she had Bitler the second semester. “He was so understanding of my struggles in biology and he really helped me learn the stuff that I struggled to learn in honors,” Resnick said. “I think if it wasn’t for Mr. Bitler I would have failed biology.”
In his free time, Bitler still finds joy out in the wilderness. He goes on hikes, fishes, and even enjoys hunting. He also continues to incorporate music into his life and plays in a bluegrass band.
When he’s not strumming on his guitar or teaching genetic mutation, he raises two kids with his wife. “I’m involved in my son’s Boy Scouts troop as an assistant scoutmaster,” Bitler said.
Bitler doesn’t just teach, he supports and inspires his students, helping pave the way to success. “At the end of the day, you will have some of the skills in place so you can follow your passion,” Bitler said. “I think as a teacher it’s one of my big jobs.”