Connections class improves students’ work ethic

Photo by Naina Giare
Connections teacher Freda Jones and freshman Kylie DeNio work together on an English assignment during second period connections class.

During fourth period in room 182, students work individually on their assignments. A junior is typing on his computer, a sophomore writes in their planner, and a freshman works with a teacher on his homework.

Connections is a class that offers a whole period to do your work. Each school day, students have 42 minutes to themselves. Any student can take the class if they choose as one of their electives under the special education department.

Students can also get help from teachers in their other classes. They can work one-on-one with teachers to ensure they understand the curriculum and don’t fall behind. “The class can be individualized to meet the needs of a student regardless of where they’re coming from,” special education teacher Jeffrey Steinbach said. “It truly just has to do with you.”

Students have increased free time because of the work they get done in class. “I think connections really help with procrastinating, getting stuff done, and also not having work at home,” sophomore Leah Stuart said.

The class strives for an environment that is quiet and not stressful. Students can use the time to relax and unwind. “It can be a place to relax,” Stuart said.

Connections is not just about studying, but can also be a period to recharge. “It’s a stress-free class because you can do your homework, study and even sleep in there if you need to take a break,” senior Angela Li said.

In the class, students learn how to organize their schoolwork, manage their time, and improve their work ethic. The teachers ensure students check their grades daily and have an efficient way to organize their lives. “Usually we have a daily log, which is where we write down all the assignments we are doing,” Stuart said. “Sometimes we write down our grades and see what we are missing.”

The class allows you to use that time to meet with other teachers. “Most of the time students are working on assignments in each of their classes,” Steinbach said. “You can spend the time to see a teacher and also finish tests or quizzes.”

Students also say they have gained skills from the class.“You can gain study skills because you study a lot in that class,” Li said.

The class can help prepare students for the future. “Students also use the time for college prep. Anything from writing an essay to preparing for SAT or ACT,” Steinbach said.

Connections is also good for students who struggle with anxiety, ADHD or other disorders. Working in a smaller area can ease the social pressure of school, and help better accommodate them. Students’ grades have shown to improve because of the class. “I had a C in chemistry because of a test I did badly on, so I studied in connections and I redid the test and now I have a B,” Stuart said.

Students who take the class feel positively towards it.“You should take connections, it really helps, it’s like a study hall,” Stuart said.