Students eager for beginning of NBA season

Photo used with permission from Wiki Commons
Rookie Victor Wembanyama brings a new level of excitement to the NBA season.

With the first tip-off of the NBA season quickly approaching, basketball fans all around the world look forward to another exciting season. From new rookies entering the league to current players switching teams, the 78th season of NBA basketball looks to be a new and unique challenge for teams and players alike.

As the season approaches, a changed NBA now has multiple new-look teams. For one, long-time Washington Wizards guard Bradley Beal now plays for the Phoenix Suns after being traded over the past offseason. Rookie sensation Victor Wembanyama, a seven-foot-four-inch center from France has generated tremendous buzz and excitement. This excitement is palpable and felt by students.

Senior John Wang is excited to see all the new players and new-look teams this season. Wang, a Philadelphia 76ers fan, is optimistic about his team’s chances and excited to watch the games. “I am looking forward to seeing the 76ers play this year. I am excited to see the games and see all the players back in action. I am also extremely excited to see Victor Wembanyama and his progression this season as he goes through his rookie year in the NBA. I think it will be weird seeing Bradley Beal in the Suns uniform this year but I think as a whole they will be a very exciting and fun team to watch who might be able to go far in the playoffs,” Wang said.

As teams finalize their roster before the beginning of the season, the Milwaukee Bucks have a new and changed roster from last season. The Bucks acquired point guard Damian Lillard from the Portland Trailblazers, which has elevated them to the most likely NBA champions. With plus 400 odds, the Bucks stand tied with the Boston Celtics as the most predicted team to win the NBA championship. Senior Kyle Chen is excited to see Damian Lillard play for the Bucks and is looking forward to watching them this season. “I am hopeful to see some Bucks games this year to see new guard Damian Lillard play for the team. I think he gives them a good shot to have a great season and should fit in well with the rest of their team. It is easy to see why they have such high odds and a good outlook heading into the season,” Chen said.

With an opening night doubleheader on Oct. 24 starting the season off, it is easy to see why optimism is beginning to creep in before the season. As students and fans begin to follow their favorite teams again, the hope of a successful year commences. Hopefully this restructured season with new teams and new players will lead to more successes and victories as all 30 NBA teams begin their journey for the championship.