MCPS attempts to end fighting in schools

Photo by Alex Grainger
Head of security Ray Blankenship (pictured right) patrols hallways to keep students behaving. “My main goal is to keep students safe,” Blankenship said.

It is no surprise that MCPS schools are trying to reduce the number of fights between students. From what students around MCPS have seen, the violence has yet to come to an end.

There are consequences for fighting in schools on the federal, state and county levels. The MCPS Board of Education has policies regarding fights, with the consequences depending on how severe the fight is. The first level of consequence would be to have a talk with the counselor or write a letter to the teacher. The next level would be temporary removal from class, followed by in-school suspension, then short-term suspension, with the maximum consequence being a long-term removal from school if the administration agrees.

Junior Ben Phillips believes fighting among students is a common thing that has been going on for an extended period of time. He hasn’t noticed more or less fights throughout this school year. “People fight but I have not seen more fights than the average amount,” Phillips said.

Health teacher Victoria McCarthy said while there is still fighting, the school handles it correctly. When fights occur, consequences need to be given to the students involved. “I actually think the school has handled recent fight situations with appropriate consequences,” McCarthy said.

Sophomore Zaara Burnett said that without consequences for people’s actions, there would be no end to any general issue; it gives an incentive for students to behave well. Before students get into a fight, they should know it can affect them far down the road. “Students should be taught the consequences because it can affect your future,” Burnett said.

To some students, fighting is no big deal but McCarthy believes it is extremely dangerous for students to be fighting. In most cases when students are watching a fight, they will stand off to the side and video record the fight happening without calling for help. “Nobody wants to intervene to stop a fight so it could easily escalate and cause real physical harm,” McCarthy said.

Phillips said that students are unaware of what the consequences of fighting are. If both schools and MCPS were vocal about what can happen to the students involved in fights and taught students why they should not fight, then perhaps there would be a decrease in fights throughout the county. “I do not know the consequences. I would assume suspension but I think [the consequences] should be taught and enforced,” Phillips said.

McCarthy said it is easy to be frustrated and resort to violence, but students need to learn how to deal with their emotions. They should not take them out physically because it can do more harm to themselves. “It’s so much better to resolve something by talking it out than getting physical,” McCarthy said.