Seniors have mixed reviews on class shirt

Photo courtesy Wootton Seniors Instagram
Seniors have mixed opinions about their class T-shirt.

From parking at the school lot to submitting your college applications, there are many things to look forward to as a senior in high school. Among the perks of being a senior is having your own, official, senior class shirt. This year’s design has elicited mixed reviews from the senior class with a wide variety of views on all aspects.

The senior T-shirt is an important part of senior year. The T-shirt can help categorize and display the graduating class while giving seniors a common clothing item to wear for pictures and school events. This year’s T-shirt design mimics the popular clothing brand Stussy. It is a black shirt with a bowling ball and the number 24 on the front side. On the back, there is a pair of dice reading out the numbers two and four. This design has drawn mixed opinions from seniors.

Senior Evan Geisner liked the dice on the back of the shirt spelling out the numbers two and four, but felt the bowling ball on the front was boring and had no meaning.“I really liked the back of the shirt. The dice hanging by a string is super cool and having the numbers of our graduating year is a nice touch. I felt the front was super boring as the T-shirt is mostly blank space with a mini bowling ball all by itself in the corner of the shirt. If the front had more of a design, the T-shirt as a whole would have been much better and unique,” Geisner said.

As shirt sales commenced earlier this school year and senior Kyle Chen had his first opportunity to look at the shirt before purchasing it, he felt underwhelmed and less excited than he hoped about the way the shirt turned out. “I felt these T-shirts were underwhelming. When I looked at the potential options last year for designs, I thought there were multiple shirts that had more meaning to our class and our school. The design on the back of the shirt is pretty cool with the front being pretty boring, but I wish there could have been more feedback from students to find a design that would be more meaningful and more creative. I also think a brighter color for the shirt rather than the dark black color chosen would have made the shirt better and more memorable,” Chen said.

Late last school year, the class of 2024 had the opportunity to design and create ideas for the senior shirt. The person who designed the winning shirt would earn a free T-shirt of their own. The applications were then narrowed down to a limited selection that was posted on the class Instagram page for students to vote through a poll. There was an original winner; a Spotify-themed shirt. However, a last-minute applicant came forward and the votes for the dice and bowling ball design prevailed. Once the final design was announced, the shirts became available on school cash online for seniors to purchase.

These T-shirts that have elicited mixed reviews from the senior class will be collectively worn for the first time on Oct. 11 for senior class picture day and kept as a reminder of this year’s senior class.