Girls soccer team moves to 5-2 with stunning win against Blake

Photo by Erik Kleinbussink
Junior defender Maddie Zinke scored a 27-yard free-kick against Kennedy on Sept. 19.

The varsity girls’ soccer team now holds a winning record after beating Blake 6-0.

The team kicked off their season with a decisive victory over Poolesville on Sept. 5 with a final score of 2-0. Senior forward Maria Sofronas, and senior captain midfielder Lizzie Misovec scored a goal each, and fantastic saves by senior goalkeeper Gurnoor Sodhi kept the Falcons from scoring. Almost a week later, on Sept. 11, the team lost to Walter Johnson, with a final score of 3-1. Senior midfielder Tati Pacheco scored the lone goal off a corner kick from senior captain midfielder Sofia Gabrielle.

On Sept. 19, the team traveled to Kennedy, where they won 4-0. Superb defensive play to keep the ball out of the Patriot’s net, and goals by Sofronas, Pacheco, senior forward Jenna Heitmann, and junior defender Maddie Zincke gave the team its victory. Zincke’s goal was a particularly bright spot in the game, as she shot the ball into the upper right corner of the goal, over the diving Kennedy goalkeeper, off a 27-yard free-kick. “After I scored, I was like ‘no way’ because I wasn’t planning on shooting, and I just decided to give it a try. I was shocked and happy because usually defenders don’t score, especially from that far out,” Zincke said after the game.

Two days later, the team played Watkins Mill at home. At halftime, the Patriots were only up 1-0, despite countless shots and promising attacking play. Then, in the second half, the girls picked up the pace, scoring five goals, with two coming from sophomore Megan Lomotan. The team then went to Sherwood for a tough matchup against the Warriors. The game was tied at the half, 1-1 with a goal from Gabrielle, but the Patriots ended up losing 2-1, even though they had the majority of the possession and an abundance of scoring opportunities. “We’ve definitely had some trouble on the offensive side, scoring goals, so we’ll look to improve that going forward… We’re only halfway through the season and we have a lot of players coming back from injuries, so I’m confident the team can go far this year,” head coach Christopher Thompson said.

We’ve definitely had some trouble on the offensive side, scoring goals, so we’ll look to improve that going forward… We’re only halfway through the season and we have a lot of players coming back from injuries, so I’m confident the team can go far this year”

— Christopher Thompson

Coming off the tough loss to Sherwood, the team went on to flatten Blake, with a final score of 6-0. Misovec scored two goals, and senior midfielder Danielle Ram and freshman forward Alex Rabin scored their first goals of the season. The next day, Oct. 4, the team beat Rockville 4-2 with a goal each from Gabrielle, Sofronas, and two goals from sophomore Izzy Caban.

JV girls’ soccer

The JV girls’ soccer team is currently over halfway through their season. They hold a 5-2 record, with only two games left in their season. This year, they’ve beaten Poolesville, Kennedy and Blake with scores of 7-0 each, Rockville 7-1, and steamrolled Watkins Mill with a score of 10-0. The two losses the team has faced this season have been to Walter Johnson, 3-1, and Sherwood, 1-0. “I feel like the season is going well so far and I think that the team bonding has made an impact on the field. Our fundraisers and team meals have really helped us bond together. We’re looking forward to watching our friends on varsity go far in playoffs,” sophomore forward Maya Bellamy said.