Football faces losing streak; looking for win

Photo by Gurnoor Sodhi
Varsity football lost 20-3 to WJ on Sept. 28.

The varsity football team currently suffers a three-game losing streak with a record of 2-3 after falling to the Walter Johnson Wildcats and the Gaithersburg Trojans. In hopes of ending the streak, the football team was ready to beat the Clarksburg Coyotes at the Homecoming game on Friday, Oct.6.

At the Gaithersburg game, the Patriots struggled to stop the Trojan’s four-star running back, who was able to outrun the Patriots’ defense multiple times. The Patriots were driving down the field to gain a first down. Senior Captain quarterback Matthew Repie decided to make up a new play on the spot, resulting in senior Mathew Cortes scoring a touchdown. The play consisted of the O line allowing the D line to rush Repie, while Cortes waited patiently behind him. Repie then tossed him the ball, allowing Cortes to run 20 yards into the endzone.

In the second half, senior captain Jacob Kelly made a 40-yard run to achieve a touchdown but it was called back due to an attempted blindside block by junior Tyler Siegal. Cortes’ touchdown was the only point scored against the Trojans. “I was excited to help my team score some points and was hoping we would score more to get the win,” Cortes said.

Against the Wildcats, Walter Johnson started the game with the ball and was able to score on their first drive within the first eight minutes. The half ended with a 37-yard field goal kicked by senior Sachin Bijlani to make the score 7-3. The Patriots had possession near the WJ endzone only to turn over the ball, diminishing their chance of scoring more points. Sophomore Josh Reed had an impressive game taking the ball down the field multiple times. Props to the defense for keeping WJ back during the first half. The Patriot defense did struggle to defend their endzone in the second half. Senior Kicker Sachian Bijlani was the only one able to score against the Wildcats, who took the win, ending the game 20-3. “It was a tough loss but I’m glad I made my field goal, ” Bijlani said.

The Patriots have high hopes of continuing on in the season. “We have a three-game stretch coming up and we are expected to win all of them. I think we are a pretty good team, we just struggle to keep up in the second half. I hope we succeed in our next game against Clarksburg,” Siegal said.

The younger talent on the team will be expected to step up in the coming days. “Since I’m one of the younger players on the team, it’s exciting to see when we complete plays and have good games. I hope we continue playing well as the season goes on,” sophomore Bryan Ngouzo.

JV football is 4-1, defeating Poolsville, Rockville, Gaithersburg and Georgetown Prep. The team continues with only one loss against Walter Johnson “I think our season is going really well so far and I’m looking forward to the rest of the season,” freshman Nathan Morris said.