Boys’ soccer can’t catch a break; 1-6 on the season

Photo by Alex Balian
Freshman Casen Linn looks to receive the ball from senior center-back junior Ricky Gomez against Blake on Oct. 2.

The varsity boys’ soccer team played their fourth match of the season on Sept. 14 against River Hill at 6 p.m. The away game took place on a cool, breezy night and emotions ran high. The team’s warm-up was slow and lethargic, foreshadowing the game. After the player announcements and the National Anthem, it was time for kick-off. The boys didn’t play their strongest, giving away the ball in the back and not connecting on their passes, leading to a 5-1 loss on the night.

A week later, the team played Rockville at home. Head coach Eric Cava changed the formation and started the game with a 5-3-2 formation (three center defenders, two wing-backs, three midfielders, and two forwards). The boys had only scored two goals in the four games prior and this was a tactical change that encouraged the defense to play long balls over the heads of the other team so the forwards could run onto the ball. The Patriots opened the scoring with a goal from junior Noah Friedman off an impressive assist from junior captain Dylan Linton. The boys rallied at home to take down the Rams, notching their first win of the season.

Two days later, the boys faced a weak Watkins Mill squad. In the pre-game warm-up, they stirred excitement, looking to build upon their performance earlier that week. However, at the end of regulation, they found themselves at a 1-1 draw. In overtime, Cava wanted his team to, “stick to the game plan and create opportunities to get the ball down into the flanks.”
With Cava’s guidance, the boys were able to get some good looks to score but ultimately couldn’t finish the job and ended up conceding a last-minute goal to lose 2-1.

Looking to bounce back, the Patriots faced Sherwood on Sept. 27 in a vibrant home game. Spirits were high and there was widespread focus amongst the players as they needed to turn their season around. The Patriots scored first, with an emphatic back-post header goal by junior Kian Kaz off a free kick. Sherwood quickly equalized due to a miscommunication in the defense, allowing the Warriors’ striker through on goal. At the half, the teams were locked at a score of 1-1. In the second half, the boys came out slow and paid the price with an impressive Sherwood goal that was placed in the top left corner of the goal. The team ended up losing the game 3-2 in overtime.

Desperately needing a win, the boys faced off against Blake on Oct 2. Blake was ranked number one in the division and the boys knew they needed to bring their A-game if they wanted to win. The Patriots dominated the first half, having shot after shot but not translating onto the scoresheet. Late into the first half, Blake scored a counter-attack goal, forcing the boys into a one-goal deficit going into halftime. During halftime the players rallied around themselves, going into the second half firing on all cylinders. Senior John Yi scored a penalty kick late into the second half, equalizing the game and forcing the Patriots into their third straight overtime game. The Patriots fell to Blake on a demoralizing rebound goal that cemented the Patriots’ sixth loss of the season.

In this challenging period, players are striving to improve their skills and make meaningful contributions to the team.

Sophomore Shreyas Ganeshan hopes for a bigger role on the team and in practice he needs “to play with confidence and be his best self” in order to succeed in Cava’s harsh and unforgiving system.

Despite the setbacks, the boys’ soccer team remains resilient, working hard to overcome obstacles and achieve success on the field.

Editor’s note: This article has been edited from a previous version published on Oct. 4, 2023, which had a quote inaccurately attributed to Coach Eric Cava.