Varsity boys’ soccer loses season opener in dramatic fashion; high hopes for rest of season

Alex Balian
Head Coach Eric Cava addresses his players during a Tuesday night practice in September.

The varsity boys’ soccer team started their season with a devastating loss to Poolesville 2-1 on Sep. 5. This came as a shock to the team as the last time they lost to the Falcons was during the pre-COVID era.

Senior captain and four-year varsity player John Yi was distraught following the performance. He had never lost to Poolesville up until that point. “It was really a disappointing loss due to the fact that I was expecting much more,” Yi said.

The game was tied 1-1 up until four minutes and 12 seconds left when the boys gave up a penalty kick due to a sloppy foul in the 18-yard box. Yi hopes to bounce back in the next game against Walter Johnson. “I expect the team to learn and grow together to be successful in the future,” Yi said.

Going forward, Assistant Coach Nathaniel Rivas is ready to move forward and turn the season around.“(Cava) needs his players to play as a team and not as individuals. During the game, we never really came together as a group and were just playing for ourselves. We lack discipline, not heart,” Rivas said.

During practice the following day, Cava initiated a new rule: if you give up a penalty kick (fouling an opposing player in the penalty box) then you will have to run a mile. This preventive measure comes with his new philosophy of addressing discipline on the team.

This year Cava looked for the youth in the program as the team comprises only five seniors, 10 juniors, five sophomores, and one freshman. Freshman Casen Linn is adapting to the life of a varsity sports athlete. “My experience on the team has been really good so far as I’m learning more and more about the game but also making friends,” Linn said.

Rivas wants the players to adapt to a new environment this year. “We have a completely new squad and we have to come together as a coaching staff and understand our strengths and weaknesses. I feel this team is more dedicated than years prior but we have to work on our technicality and first touch,” Rivas said.

The home opener was played Sept. 11 where the boys looked to rewrite the story for their season. The boys faced a tough WJ squad, losing 1-0 in double overtime, bringing their record to 0-2. Despite the loss, this game was a massive step forward compared to last week and they look to keep building, searching for their first win of the season.

The JV team has a record of 1-1, winning against Poolesville and losing against WJ. Sophomore defender and captain Varun Rajesh hopes for more from his boys this season. “This is only the start. I expect us to win a lot this season with how hungry everyone is. We need good performances,” Rajesh said.

Editors note: This article has been updated from a previous version