Student becomes the master

Photos used with permission from Fife & Drum yearbook

Choral director Keith Schwartz pictured above in the 2022 yearbook and below as a junior in 2007.

Teachers can teach hundreds or even thousands of students during their time working. That means that their students may go to college, start a career, have a family and grow into adults. A high school student working side by side with their teachers might seem difficult to imagine. But for several Wootton teachers, it is a reality.
Teachers such as Keith Schwartz, Christina Rice, Melissa Kaplan and Anne-Marie Steppling are now working with their former teachers.
Schwartz, the choral director, attended Wootton for high school. Schwartz graduated in 2008, meaning he was taught by the teachers who he now works alongside. “Mrs. Herman, Mr. Bauer, Mrs. Bauer, Mrs. Buckingham and Mrs. Steppling are all ones that taught me. But I’m sure there are more,” Schwartz said.
For other teachers, their time being a student of a current coworker was not at Wootton. History teacher Christina Rice was taught by fellow history teacher Tim Anderson at Damascus. “My younger siblings and I all had Anderson when we were in high school,” Rice said.
Rice was also taught physical education by gym teacher James Long in middle school. “Mr. Long is the exact same. Very funny and outgoing. He jokes around a lot and that is definitely what I remember when I was in his class,” Rice said.
Rice said that the relationship between herself and Anderson has changed, but that he hasn’t. “I was really excited to work with him. He is a really great teacher. I remember him being really thorough with explanations and really funny. He built in a lot of jokes and that’s still how he is,” Rice said.
Working with a former student gives the teacher an interesting perspective on their career. Anderson, who has been working here for eight years, remembers what Rice was like as a student. “She was probably one of the best students in the class. She was super focused, very diligent in her assignments and the quality of her work. Top notch student,” Anderson said.
For Rice and Schwartz, their time as students remains important to them as they work with their former teachers. “It was definitely weird at first. Like for example I never called these people by their first names until I started working here,” Schwartz said.
The change in the relationship was difficult for Schwartz. As someone who had a quick turnaround from student to teacher at the same school, he needed to adjust. “To feel like I was equal to them was strange at first. Now it feels normal,” Schwartz said.
Anderson did not feel any awkwardness or superiority over Rice when they began working together. “I think I had her in about 2001 and then didn’t see her again until I came to Wootton in 2015. She is an adult and a colleague. I don’t see her as a student at all, just a professional,” Anderson said.
The relationship between a teacher and their former student is interesting in normal circumstances. Even more so if they become coworkers. “To be honest, I can’t at all picture writing tests with the people that are currently giving them to me,” sophomore Alex Foster said.