Students fast, find spiritual connection during Ramadan

Photo courtesy Wootton Sports

Junior Ahmed Elsamani (back) passes off the baton at a track meet. Elsamani balances fasting with running track.

Spring is a time of celebration and anticipation. The end of the school year is near, prom is around the corner and AP tests are upon us. For Muslim students, spring also marks the start of Ramadan, a month-long period of fasting and spiritual reflection.

During Ramadan, which falls on the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, Muslims abstain from food, drink and other physical needs from sunrise to sunset. This year, Ramadan began on Apr. 2 and ended on May 1. For Muslim students, this meant they were fasting throughout the school day, from sunrise to late afternoon, while also keeping up with their academic and extracurricular commitments.

Junior Ahmed Elsamani ran track while fasting during Ramadan and had to balance athletic performance with his religious dedication. “Luckily, I’m able to go throughout the day normally because I’ve been observing Ramadan since I was a kid, so fasting doesn’t really affect me much,” Elsamani said.

One of the most important aspects of Ramadan is the communal iftar or breaking of the fast. This is a time when families and friends come together to share a meal, often consisting of traditional foods. In addition to the communal iftar, many mosques and Islamic centers hold special events during Ramadan, such as lectures, taraweeh prayers (special prayers performed during Ramadan) and community service projects.

Despite the challenges that come with fasting during the day, students embrace Ramadan as a time of spiritual growth and reflection. “Ramadan has taught me to be mindful of what I have and what other people have, and has allowed me to see life from different perspectives,” junior Alexa Ntchobo said.

Ramadan is also a time for increased charity and social responsibility. Observers are encouraged to give to those in need, whether it be through donating money or their time. It is also a time to reflect on the blessings in one’s life and show gratitude.

Ramadan is a test of self-discipline and mental control but also exemplifies the importance of community and support. “I’ve grown up fasting so it’s not hard to stay motivated. But when I do start to feel unmotivated, I look at my family and friends around me also fasting and get strength from them. I also like to think of the people who barely have food and water and still fast because religion means so much to them,” senior Alina Salim said.