JV, varsity softball season rewind

Photo courtesy Wootton Athletics

Senior Kaitlin Mariani bats during the game against Churchill.

Girls’ varsity softball record stands at 6-7 after playing Watkins Mill, Blair, Clarksburg, Seneca Valley, Whitman, Paint Branch, Richard Montgomery, Walter Johnson, BCC, Churchill, QO, Poolesville and Rockville. The team comprises three freshmen, four sophomores, two juniors and five seniors.

The JV softball team is back in action after a break from last season, as there were not enough players to field a team. The team consists of four freshmen, four sophomores, and three juniors. The team record is 1-5-1.

The varsity team captains are Karen Potts and Kassandra Acuna. The team is coached by father-daughter duo Springer and Bridgette Goyne. One of the team captains, Potts, plays softball outside of school and is also an American Ninja Warrior. She is continuing to play softball for college at Case Western Reserve University.

The junior varsity team captains are Ava Bull and Yael Zief. Freshman player Eliana Cortez is playing shortstop for the first time. Shayna Kreiser, Sara Pinzon and Zief are the pitchers on the team. Bull is now the catcher and an impressive one for never playing catcher before.

A few highlighted games of the varsity season so far are Blair and RM. The team beat RM 6-1 and lost 5-6 to Blair, but they played well in both games. No matter if the team wins or loses they have a positive attitude throughout the game. “The thing I love most is the team chemistry; everyone gets along and it’s a really fun time playing softball with them and hanging out with them at team dinners too,” freshman Megan Lomotan said.

One of the junior varsity highlighted games is Seneca Valley, when they were down 8-2 and then came back and tied it 14-14. This was a great chance for the team to work together and push through. “The season is going good, everyone is so nice and I have made so many new friends from all grades, it’s a very welcoming community,” Kreiser said.

The varsity team consists of multi-sport athletes who know each other from other sports and have become more connected through softball. They do team bonding by having team dinners, breakfasts, and an occasional ice cream run to bring them together as a team. “It’s also fun because I know some of my teammates from other sports in the year so I’ve gotten even closer with them but I’ve also gotten close with my new teammates,” Lomotan also said.

JV Coach Paul Kirk said he is proud of the team this season and how much they have improved. “The girls are working hard and have gotten a lot better as the season goes on,” Kirk said.

The varsity team is showing a big improvement from 2022. Their record ended at 3-8 last season. This season they are already ahead with their record of 6-7. They are hoping to end their season off with a bang with their next two games against Gaithersburg and Northwood.