JV boys’ baseball ready for season

Photo courtesy Erik Kleianbussink

Sophomore shortstop Tyler Siegel turns to catch the ball against Clarksburg on Apr. 11, 2022.

After a disappointing season last year, finishing 5-7, the JV boys’ baseball team is looking to have a strong season with lots of talent returning and entering the program. Second year JV head coach Matt Peffer is determined to make significant improvements this year and lead the team to a successful season.

Tryout for the team started on Mar. 1 and lasted three days. The boys were evaluated on their batting and fielding ability, as well as their baseball IQ. After three days of tryouts and two cuts, the team was set with 15 players. Among these players, returning standouts for the team are sophomore shortstop Tyler Siegel and sophomore outfielder Matthew Kunst. Both Siegel and Kunst were starters on JV last year and are looking to make a big impact in an improved season this year. “All the returning players have been working hard in the off season and the team is looking a lot stronger coming into the new season. We think we have a shot to go undefeated this year,” Siegel said.

In addition to the returning players, the team has solid new talent coming into the program highlighted by freshman shortstop and third baseman Blake Graham and freshman catcher Cyrus Kaz. Both are looking to make an instant impact for the team and help them to an improved record. “We have been thinking about playing high school baseball our whole lives and are ready to help the team succeed in any way possible,” Graham said.

The boys have had four scrimmages so far and have looked good in all of them. First the boys played Demascus on Mar. 6, in the closest of their scrimmages, tying them 8-8. Then they played Linganore on Mar. 8, winning 11-8, and Landon on Mar. 11, winning 11-3. Finally the boys headed up to Frederick for their final scrimmage, playing Tuscarora on Mar. 17. They would cruise by Tuscarora, demolishing them 20-1, a big win for the team, giving them huge momentum to start the season. Throughout the scrimmages the Patriots have been led by Kunst, who has been on fire batting, and Siegel, who has had consistent fielding and batting. “The team has been playing really well and we are feeling confident going into the season that we are going to have a really good year,” Kunst said.

The Patriots opened up their season on Mar. 21 with a commanding win 26-0 over Paint Branch. The boys have their home opener today against Clarksburg.