JV girls’ basketball finishes on hot streak

Photo by Erik Kleinbussink

Freshman guard Kira Georgelakos shoots a free throw against Walter Johnson.

The girls’ JV basketball team finished their season with a record of 7-8. This season saw a miraculous turn around for the team as last year they failed to win one game and this year came out of the season with seven.

In the final stretch of the season the team managed to pull out five wins in their last six games,. getting double digit victories over schools like Magruder, Richard Montgomery and Wheaton. “The last five wins were really hype and I’m glad I got to watch some of my friends play. This season was a great improvement from the one last year,” freshman Blake Graham said.

After coming back from winter break, the team saw a huge turnaround. Losing the first three games after the break and falling to a record of 2-7, the season looked to be a repeat of last year. Then the team had an amazing game with a win against Magruder with a score of 53-20 and the five-game win streak began.

The team then faced a solid Richard Montgomery team at home and edged out a close victory 34-30. The game went all the way to the buzzer and freshman team captain Avni Koenig and sophomore team captain Maddy Mathew helped seal the solid win. “I feel like we improved a lot over the course of the season, so I’m happy with how it ended. I’m also sad that it’s over because it was a lot of fun,” Koenig said.

Then the team traveled to Kennedy on Jan. 17 and had a big win with a score of 33-10. Only giving up 10 points marked the best defensive performance of the season for the girls. Unfortunately the following game that was scheduled to be away at Northwood High school was canceled.

After the win over Kennedy, the team went back home to play a strong Rockville team. Winning the previous three games helped as the team was able to edge out Rockville 31-26. The now four-game win streak gave the team momentum going into their final two games.

Playing at home in the second to last matchup of the season, the team took on Wheaton to try to extend their winning streak. After a dominating performance from the team they continued their streak to five games with a final score of 46-18.

The final game of the season was played away against Whitman, who had defeated the team earlier in the season. Unfortunately Whitman ended up winning but the girls ended their season with seven more wins than last year. “I think we ended the season well. I think we really came together as a team and improved over the course of the season. I enjoyed playing with these girls and I’m sad it’s over,” Mathew said.