Ice rinks solve overcrowding problem

Photo by Alexia Granthon

Senior Rae Weinstein attempts to save seats for her friends at a hockey game while they go outside to get food.

Fans are excited to watch their favorite high school hockey team win. But as the game gets closer and closer to the beginning, fans pile in. It gets out of control as people are wrapped around the wall and bumping into each other’s shoulders. Anytime anything happens in the game, the whole crowd yells with excitement or rage. The jumping coming from the fans creates a loud thud.

High school ice hockey is popular with students across the county and has resulted in over-crowded stands and a threat to spectator safety at the hockey games.

According to sophomore Alex Foster, sometimes at games, fans have been unable to get their own seat in the rink. “In past games fans have wrapped around the boards and half of them can’t get a seat,” Foster said.

The chaos caused by this over-crowding has led to stricter rules for the rinks. Since the beginning of the season, staff and volunteers at the ice rink have made efforts to stop overcrowding. According to Foster, it seems the ice rink security guards have been enforcing the rules more than in the past. “I noticed during the game officers walked around controlling where people sit and keeping people out of the aisle,” Foster said.

Junior Arjun Ram said he has felt much safer at the games and feels the rink is a much safer place. He and his friends have attended more games than expected due to safety guidelines. “With the extra safety precautions in place I look forward to the games more,” Ram said.

The extra security doesn’t just benefit the fans, it benefits the players and their ability to focus on the task at hand. Freshman Owen Goozh said he is less distracted at play and can focus more on getting to the puck and helping out his teammates. “When fans are calm it allows me to find my groove,” Goozh said.

Extra security is also beneficial for the safety of the hockey players. Hockey can be a dangerous sport, and with constant yelling and banging it’s inevitable to become distracted. “For me, one of the more important things is my safety and well-being,” Goozh said.

Safety measures are also important to maintain the rink. Goozh said he noticed that the glass isn’t broken, and the workers have maintained it. “The side wall feels less flimsy and is something I could trust to stop me from sliding around if I were to fall,” Goozh said.

With safety nets in place, there is a better spectator experience that benefits everyone. Parents can watch their kids play hockey, students can watch their friends, and the players can bring back a win. “Aside from the games just being more fun, it is better that everyone can enjoy the game comfortably,” Ram said.