How to enjoy winter’s chill

Photo courtesy Jamie Zweig

Senior Jamie Zweig explores England over a past vacation. Winter break is often a time for students to travel abroad.

As days get shorter and shorter, the snow starts to fall, and holiday music plays on the radio, students’ excitement grows toward winter beginning. Looking for places to spend time with friends? Here are the best options for you.

Snow days are the perfect opportunity to go sledding and have fun with friends. Looking for a place to go? This year, try the hill in between Frost and Wootton. It is typically packed with snow and the perfect place to feel the winter rush. Junior Hayley Cooper said, “I can’t wait for this year’s snow days. I like to hang out with my friends and go sledding while enjoying the surprise day off from school.”

Another student favorite winter activity is ice skating. Students enjoy having fun with their friends while also getting in exercise. Typical spots to ice skate are the Cabin John Ice Rink and the winter-only rink in Rockville Town Square. Sophomore Noah Friedman said, “The best part of winter is definitely getting to go ice skating with my friends. One time we went and my friend fell flat on his face and it was so funny.”

Looking for places to go? Artechouse in Washington, D.C., has a holiday exhibit that you won’t want to miss. Filled with bright lights and a combination of science, art, and technology, this is the perfect place to enjoy seasonal snacks and watch the show with friends and family. The interactive aspect is the perfect experience for younger kids and adults to enjoy themselves. Math teacher Eva O’Keefe said, “I enjoy going into DC with my kids on winter break to enjoy the city’s seasonal attractions and seeing their excitement for the upcoming holidays.”

The best place to enjoy dazzling Christmas lights is at Enchant, in D.C. This creative exhibit at Nats Park contains ice skating, a scavenger hunt, sparkling lights, food vendors, and more. Stroll through lighted tunnels, travel to magical illuminated lands while searching for stars, see the 100-foot Christmas tree, and look for special surprises along the way.

Wanting to stay in? Snuggle up in warm blankets, make holiday-themed cookies, and enjoy your favorite holiday movie. Cooper said, “Some of my favorite holiday movies to watch with my family are Home Alone, The Grinch, and A Bad Mom’s Christmas.”

This holiday cookie recipe from All Recipies allows you to create the perfect chocolate crinkle cookies. Start by mixing two cups of white sugar, one cup of unsweetened cocoa powder, and one-half cup of vegetable oil in a medium bowl. Beat in four large eggs, one at a time, until combined.

Then stir in two teaspoons of vanilla extract. Combine two cups of all-purpose flour, two teaspoons of baking powder, and one-half teaspoon of salt in another bowl. Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until thoroughly mixed. Cover the dough and refrigerator for at least four hours. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll or scoop the chilled dough into one-inch balls. Coat each ball in confectioners’ sugar and place one inch apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes and let them stand on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to wire racks to cool. Repeat steps four and five to make the remaining batches and enjoy.