JV girls’ soccer team flattens Rockville 6-0 in season opener

Photo by Gurnoor Sodhi

The JV girls’ soccer team started their season with a decisive 6-0 win against Rockville. Sophomore Marissa Cook is a key part of the team’s defense.

The JV girls’ soccer team beat Rockville 6-0 in a dominant home victory on Sept. 6 . Impressive performances from all members of the team helped secure the win and the players look forward to continuing their superb start.

The game was played in excellent weather, with a slightly overcast sky, a temperature of roughly 80 degrees, and a pleasant wind blowing across the field. The 21-player roster is a mix of eight sophomores and 13 freshmen. The team was without three players at the time of the game due to injuries, leaving fewer substitutes available. 

The team started in a 4-4-2 formation(four players on defense, four midfield, and two forwards). Freshman Lyla Mahoney started in goal with sophomores Isabella Davis-Astrada, Marissa Cook, and Malissa Lee alongside freshman Isabella Trubiano holding down the defense. Freshmen Mia Stubbins and Maya Bellamy started as center midfielders flanked by freshman Eliana Cortez and sophomore Leah Antony. Freshmen Jordyn Childs and Isabella Caban started as forwards, leading the attack.

Five minutes into the game, Cortez scored off of a cross by Caban, which was fumbled by the goalie. Six minutes later, sophomore Captain Kailey Waxman found Bellamy with a beautiful through ball, which was excellently finished by Bellamy. Less than two minutes later, Childs found Cortez on a brilliant cross for the third goal of the game. 

The last 20 minutes of the half were scoreless, however, the Patriots kept the majority of the possession. The varsity boys’ soccer team and JV football team both came to lend their support. Throughout the first half, head coach Jillian Coon and the team’s captains offered words of encouragement. “It was awesome to represent our school and it felt good to lead the team with passion, ” Waxman said.

Coming into the second half, the team’s main goal was to maintain possession and continue scoring. Rockville approached the remaining 35 minutes with physicality, while the Patriots looked to pass the ball and rely on their skill. Coon instructed her side to make more short passes, move the ball up the field, and follow up to score on any shots that rebounded out of the goalie’s gloves.

Five minutes into the half, Stubbins and Waxman exchanged the ball in a lovely give-and-go combination, which Waxman then scored on from the top of the box. With 15 minutes left, Childs added a goal to the tally, and two minutes later, Caban scored off of a goalie deflection, bringing the final score to 6-0. “We were very excited because it was the first game of the season. Beating Rockville was a great start to the season and I thought we played very well,” Trubiano said.

While the offense was spectacular, the defense deserves just as much praise. Excellent performances by Cook, Lee, Trubiano, Davis-Astrada, sophomore Meymuna Oweis, and freshman Emory Scofield helped to secure a clean sheet. While the defense played well throughout the game, a few shots did reach Mahoney, who excelled, keeping the ball out of the net. “I’m really looking forward to getting to know my teammates better and winning more games,” Davis-Astrada said.

The team is excited to play the rest of their season, with their next game on Sept. 27 at 5:30 pm at Whitman.