Summer jobs help students make extra money

Photo by Ryan McGraw

Freshman Mani Javanbakht checks guests into Rockshire pool over Memorial Day weekend.

Every summer, high school students across the country get jobs to earn extra money while they are not in school. The most popular summer jobs are lifeguarding, being a camp counselor, tutoring, caddying and working retail.

The most popular, and probably easiest job students can get is becoming a lifeguard. To become a lifeguard, students first need to pass an online certification class, and then an in-person course to receive their certification. Then, all students have to do to get the job is apply to a pool near them through the company’s website that runs that pool. If students are looking for a quick and easy way to earn a little extra money, lifeguarding is definitely one of the best options out there. Junior Ethan Kuan said he wants to be a lifeguard at the Lifetime pool this summer. “I love being outside in the sun, and being by the water, so choosing to apply for lifeguarding was an easy choice,” Kuan said.

Another popular summer job that is relatively easy is becoming a caddy at a local golf course. It requires minimum training and allows you to make a decent amount of money. Sophomore Matthew Repie is working as a caddy over the summer at a local golf course. “Being a caddy is a great summer job because you get to be on a nice golf course all day, and you make a lot of money for a high school student. I would definitely recommend becoming a caddy if you have the opportunity,” Repie said.

Throughout the summer there are hundreds of summer camps that go on. Many of them are in need of major help, and are a great way for students to make some extra money. Becoming a camp counselor doesn’t require any training. Junior Jessica Winson is going to be a camp counselor at a lacrosse camp this summer. “Being a camp counselor is awesome because you can choose a camp that has something you’re interested in, that’s why I choose a lacrosse camp,” Winson said.

These three jobs have varying incomes. Camp counselors typically get paid less than the other jobs because they get room and board paid for, but they work 24 hours a day for up to 10 weeks. Lifeguards typically get paid about $10 to $15 an hour and only work around 40 hours a week. A caddy or job on the golf course can sometimes collect tips from players in addition to their base salary. Similar to lifeguarding, golf course jobs will work for around 40 hours a week with the pay for a high school student around $15 an hour.

When applying for a summer job, places may want to interview you to see if you are the right fit for the job. Here are some tips for what to do while taking an interview. One tip is to listen carefully to the interviewer’s questions so you can give  a reasonable response. Another tip is to always tell the truth. One way or another if you lie in an interview, it will always come back to hurt you. Lastly, remember to stay calm and collected.