JV softball rounds third on their season

Photo by Evan Lewis

The junior varsity softball team takes on Walter Johnson at home.

With the season coming to a close, the JV softball team has played in eight games. Although the games haven’t gone the way of the Patriots, there is still optimism amongst the team to finish the season out strong. 

In their home opener on Mar. 22, the team fell to Paint Branch in a high scoring affair. With a final score of 17-11, the Patriots recorded four hits and scored five of their 11 runs in the second inning. These five runs were courtesy of runners batted in (RBIs) from freshman Anshu Patra, freshman Yael Zief, sophomore Abena Frimpong, sophomore Regan Burns and freshman Anshi Tolani in that inning. Patra was also the starting pitcher, striking out four batters while on the mound. She also led the team in hitting, landing two hits in two at bats. “I am excited to see what will happen the rest of the season,” Patra said.

In their second game of the season, the Patriots faced off against Clarksburg in another game at home. The Patriots lost 30 -12 in another shoot-out type of game, with both offenses putting up lots of runs. Burns, Frimpong, Patra,  Tolani and Sania Remules all recorded RBIs, with the team amassing five hits, showing their offensive firepower.

The third game of the season didn’t play out in favor of the Patriots, losing 23-13 against Montgomery Blair in their first away game of the season. Despite the score, the Patriots had a big fourth inning, scoring nine runs. They ended the game with four hits, one each from Bull, Frimpong, Zief and Alex Ye.

In their fourth game, the Patriots fell to Seneca Valley but played in one of their best offensive showings. The Patriots, playing in an away game, got off to an early lead, scoring six runs in the first inning and recording nine hits over the course of the game. However, the Patriots saw their lead slowly slip away and lost the game 18-11. “We did a good job making contact with pitches that game,” coach Lindsay Roberts said.

In their next three games of the season, the Patriots played Whitman, Churchill, and B-CC. These games didn’t go in favor of the Patriots, losing to Whitman 24-6, losing to Churchill 27-21, and losing to B-CC 25-5.

In their most recent game, the Patriots had a hard fought battle against Quince Orchard, losing by one run with a final score of 18-17. The Patriots managed nine hits and almost mounted a late fourth inning comeback, but fell up short. Patra pitched for the Patriots, earning two strikeouts in two and two-thirds innings pitched. On the plate, Patra went an impressive three-for-three on the plate. “While the games haven’t gone their way, the softball team has been improving as the season has gone on,” junior Devlin McCarthy said.

The Patriots finish their season with two home games. The first is against Walter Johnson on Apr. 25 and the second against Albert Einstein on Apr. 26.