Boys’ volleyball looks forward to start of season

Photo courtesy Jared Su

Junior Jared Su, freshman Timmy Ouyang and sophomore Kenny Lin prepare for a serve.

With last season being shortened due to Covid, the boys’ volleyball team is excited to get back on the court to have their first full season in two years. While expectations for this group are high, they have the talent and potential to get the job done and possibly go to the state bracket like the girls’ team did this past fall.

To get in shape and be prepared for the regular season, the boys took on the Clarksburg Coyotes, defending country champions. Playing the country champs in your only scrimmage is somewhat of a daunting task, but the boys pulled through and got the win with a score of 2-1 in sets. 

Clarksburg has a division one commit and a lot of talented and experienced players, so this was a monumental win. Freshman Timmy Ouyang is a new addition to the team and was a standout in the scrimmage. “The fact that he is a freshman and is already making big plays against a really good team shows his potential for the future,” junior Jared Su said. 

Juniors Christopher Li and Su also had impressive performances against the Coyotes and look to build on that for the rest of the season. “With all the pieces we have we could definitely compete for states. We are a young group that is talented in a lot of positions, and we play as a team. I think we can win a lot of games this year if we stay together and keep the synergy we have as a team,” Li said.

The team started off the regular season on the road Wednesday, Mar. 23, to take on Damascus. They were hitting on all cylinders and playing together as a team, pulling out the win 3-0 in sets, with scores of 25-9, 25-9, and 25-11. The boys were back in action at home on Friday, Mar, 25,to face off against Sherwood, too late to be included in this article. They had a lot of momentum from the sweep against Damascus, which should have carried over to the Sherwood game. “The win against Clarksburg is a great sign because Clarksburg has been better than almost every team we play this season, so that could be a sign that we pick up some wins early on in the season,” junior Felipe Lemgruber said. 

This week the boys take on Whitman and Watkins Mill and hope to pick up those wins to go into spring break on a good note.