Boys’ JV lacrosse dominates in opening day win

Photo by Michael Gurevich

Sophomore Coby Pinto carries the ball behind the net in a scrimmage versus Rockville on Mar. 18.

Following two dominating scrimmage wins versus Blake on Mar. 14 and Rockville on Mar. 18, the boys’ JV lacrosse team beat Clarksburg 11-0 in their first game of the season on Mar. 22. 

In the first scrimmage versus Blake, sophomore attackman Michael Murphy led the way with four goals. He hopes to mount on his early success going into his second year with the JV team. “I had an up and down year last year but I have gotten much better during the off-season and hope to be a huge contributor for the team this year,” Murphy said.

Gavin Grange, a standout freshman, also hopes to have a huge role on the team this year. In the team’s second scrimmage versus Rockville, Grange had an impressive four goals in only the first quarter of play, adding in two assists as well. “This is my first year playing on a real lacrosse team and it is so much fun. Both of my older brothers play lacrosse so they helped me get ready for my first season at Wootton,” Grange said. 

The game versus Clarksburg was no different for the team as they kept their foot on the gas on offense and locked down on defense. Murphy and sophomore attackman Coby Pinto combined for six goals. “I was happy to get out there and score some goals with my boys. Coach Lee is happy with our performance so far but Friday’s game versus Whitman will be a real test as we have not played much competition so far,” Pinto said.

This blowout home opener was huge for the boys as they faced a real test last Friday versus a historically good Whitman team. Head coach Ben Lee and his squad host Whitman again at home in hopes of improving to 2-0. “We have a young team who love each other and love learning the game of lacrosse. We know Whitman is good but we are hungry to get another win,” Lee said.

Following a sophomore heavy 2021 campaign, the reshaped JV roster has started to come together and bond as a team. Going into the season the boys were not familiar with each other. Now just a few weeks in, the chemistry of the team is significantly improving. “We have a great group of guys this season and I cannot wait to see how well we work together,” Grange said.

Following their victory on Tuesday, the boys are left with four home games and four away games. After their second game on Friday the boys had four days until their next game, which will be on Tuesday, Mar. 29 at Walter Johnson. “We realize that our schedule gets tough but have enough confidence in ourselves and in each other that we can pull out many good wins this year,” Murphy said.