Deciding between two schools: A guide for seniors

Photo courtesy Emily Levine

Senior Emily Levine celebrates her recent commitment to Miami University.

As second semester seniors get close to their final quarter of high school, the deadline for deciding their future is quickly approaching. Students are receiving good news with acceptance letters, but it can feel overwhelming when deciding which college is the right fit. Here is a guide to help in the college application process and get closer to that final decision.

After hearing back from all colleges, the first thing to do is narrow down the options. Try to imagine yourself at each school and eliminate the ones you don’t see yourself at. Do another round of research on each school through their website or social media. It is best to narrow down your list to two or three schools. Senior Charlotte Christovich has narrowed her list to two schools. “I feel a lot better now that I know I am going to one of these two schools. However it is still going to be hard for me to decide,” Christovich said. 

Once you have narrowed down your options to around two or three schools, visit each one if you can. While at the school, make sure to explore all aspects of campus like the dining halls, libraries, college town shops and dining, and the night life. After visiting it is helpful to write down things you liked and disliked about your visit in a pros and cons list. Most schools have an accepted students’ day, where prospective students can get a feel for the campus through a guided tour and have the chance to ask questions to current students.  

Senior Emily Levine was able to make her decision after visiting her two top choices. “One of the schools just felt more me, and I could picture myself at that school way more than the other one,” Levine said. 

Think about what you are looking for. Does one school have a specific program or club that made you more inclined to apply? If you’re a sports fanatic, does one school have more sports and spirit? If you are looking for a specific course or major, do both schools offer that? 

Senior Sage Gardiner is majoring in business at the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University. “Getting into the business school at Indiana made my decision a lot easier, since studying business is exactly what I want to do,” Gardiner said. 

Try to find current students who go to those schools and chat with them. Make a list of questions or topics you want to talk about and make sure to take notes on what they say. You will find out different information from current students than official tours at the school. Tour guides try to promote the school, so they won’t point out any flaws or negatives.

If you are stuck on what questions and factors you should consider, here are some to think about: Geographic location, academic courses, campus environment, overall cost and school size. Make sure to talk to your parents or guardians about the decision.

Finally, go with your gut and do not stress. After doing research, visiting the schools, and talking with others, you should be able to pinpoint which school would be a better fit for you. Do not feel worried or anxious about making the wrong decision. After all, you can always transfer.