Students should keep same teachers for both semesters

Photo by Ryan McGraw

Junior Harel Sabag says goodbye to biology and forensics teacher Sanford Herzon at the end of the first semester.

With the beginning of the second semester well upon us, all students have settled in to their new schedules. This process can be hectic for students who have to adjust to a new teacher’s method. It would be much easier for students if they were able to keep their old schedule and the teachers they’re accustomed to.

Different teaching styles can make switching teachers difficult for kids. Whether a teacher uses myMCPS Classroom or Google Classroom is one factor students have to adjust to, taking up valuable time.

During the first semester, you get to know your teachers and how they teach, which allows you to adapt to their learning style. When you switch teachers, it’s hard to adapt to their new style of teaching if you were just learning under another.

— Dylan Yoon

Senior Dylan Yoon said he thinks keeping the same teachers could help students learn easier and connect with their teachers. “During the first semester, you get to know your teachers and how they teach, which allows you to adapt to their learning style. When you switch teachers, it’s hard to adapt to their new style of teaching if you were just learning under another,” Yoon said.

Junior Carli Katz agrees with Yoon, adding she would like to keep all of her first semester teachers because she liked all of them and has formed relationships with them.

Similarly to Katz and Yoon, who have connected with their teachers and learned their styles, junior Ethan Kuan wishes he could keep his first semester teachers. “I would like to have the same teachers as the first semester because I already had a routine with those teachers, and it’s difficult to get seven new teachers because it’s completely new stuff,” Kuan said.

Sophomore Yassine Idrissa, on the other hand, sees cons in keeping the same teachers. “I do think it’s important to form relationships with your teachers, but switching teachers helps you become more adaptive, which will help you down the line. I also think experiencing a new teacher’s teaching style can help different students learn better,” Idrissa said.

Junior Max Mirsky sees both sides, and doesn’t care if his teachers stay the same or switch. “I liked most of my first semester teachers a lot, but not all of them. I think it’s good to experience all the different teachers, but also think many students would benefit from staying with their same teacher from the first semester that they’re accustomed to, “ Mirsky said.

It seems the majority of students are against switching teachers for the second semester. The counseling department and administration should try to look for a solution to this issue, like allowing students the choice of switching or keeping the same teachers for the second semester.