Varsity hockey slumps to end of season

Photo courtesy Miles Wiley

Junior Keanu Yi skates to the puck in a game against Whitman.

Varsity hockey currently sits at a record of 4-5-1 with wins against Sherwood, BCC, St. Johns and Rockville/Magruder. They fell short to Richard Montgomery, Georgetown Prep, Churchill, Walter Johnson Quince Orchard, and B-CC. Their only tie of the season thus far was with Whitman. The team has allowed 44 goals and has scored 32 goals. Junior Conor Harris leads the team with 14 points (6G, 8A). The team has five games remaining.

We know we are one of the more talented teams in the league, we just need to prove it.

— Julien Piche

Goalie Julien Piche has been playing well this season. Piche has four wins and a 4.29 Goals Against Average and a .855 save percentage. The team currently sits in sixth place out of the eight teams in their division, allowing for the possibility of rearranging the standings once the regular season comes to an end. Piche knows there is still work left to be done on all parts of the team so they can push for a spot in the playoffs. “We know we are one of the more talented teams in the league, we just need to prove it,” Piche said.

Junior Keanu Yi has been making an impact on offense with two goals and five assists. The speedster has helped take off some of the weight on Barrow’s shoulders, as he sometimes plays with Barrow on the same line. “I love playing with other teammates who are similar if not better skilled than me cause it makes me a better player cause I learn off of them,” Yi said.

Freshman Sam Hosier has three goals and one assist. He is a defenseman so his stats won’t be that high but he is still putting up good numbers considering this is his first year. Hosier has been learning off of other defensemen as his high school hockey career is just getting started. “I love watching the NHL but I also love watching high school hockey because there are many similar kids who play the same way as we do so it’s obviously fun to watch but it’s also good to learn off kids,” Hosier said.

Senior Miles Wiley hasn’t gotten lots of playing time but he is making the most of it as he is enjoying his final games in high school. Wiley has been on hockey all four years and said he has enjoyed every moment of it as he has been making memories with his teammates and coaches. “I grew up playing hockey and to think that this time has gone by so fast is crazy but I’m glad I’ve been able to do it with my teammates,” Wiley said.