Playoff loss ends boys’ soccer season


Photo courtesy Wootton Athletics Twitter

Senior Sachin Krishna-Rogers drives up the field looking to score in their game against Poolsville on Oct 18.

The boys’ soccer team’s season came to an end at the hands of Whitman in the 4A West Regional Quarterfinal on Oct. 27. The boys lost 2-0; senior goalie Max Glaser had two goals allowed.

The loss struck the heart of the players, especially the seniors. “I was very saddened after our loss against Whitman. The team played great, but we fell just short. This season was an incredible experience and I will remember my days as a Wootton soccer player forever,” senior Ethan Moon said. 

OThe juniors, saddened about the loss, are hungry to come back next fall and get after it. “Obviously you never want it to end but there is some light because I will be back on the field again next year. Each team has a different identity and this team had a special one. I had a lot of fun and can’t wait to see what next year’s team has in store,” junior Josh Mirsky said. 

Before the regional quarterfinal loss, the boys still had two regular season games remaining. The first was against Poolesville on Oct. 18 on the boys’ senior night, which is always a special moment. “It was very nice to share the field with all the other seniors and get one last win on the Wootton field. The last three years I have watched the seniors walk on the field with their families and to do it myself was incredibly special,” senior Sachin Krishna-Rogers said. 

Their game was successful, and the team pulled off a 2-0 win against Poolesville with goals scored from Moon and Krishna-Rogers. Moon’s goal was scored on a penalty kick and was assisted by Krishna-Rogers. 

On Oct. 27, the team played their last regular-season game against Damascus and pulled off a 2-1 win. Moon and junior Ty Coonin were the two goal scorers of this game, with both goals assisted by Krishna-Rogers. Moon’s goal was again scored on a penalty kick. Krishna-Rogers ended the season with eight assists. 

This season can be summed up in many ways, but it is definitely one to remember. The team started off shaky, going on a four-game losing streak during the stretch of the season and had a 1-5-2 record in the first seven games. Within those four games, the team did not score a single goal, which definitely showed the presence of an offensive weakness.

However, toward the end of the regular season, the boys started to get a ton of momentum, winning three of the last four games and finishing with a final record of 4-6-2. They ended strong and climbed back from a rough start. 

This isn’t the end of varsity soccer – more like a hiatus. The players will train all winter and spring and they will be back with a vengeance, hungrier than ever.