Coed varsity golf starts season hoping for championship win

Photo courtesy Rita Liu

Varsity Golf team members Rita Liu, Chelsea Tu, Rachel Cheung, and Kaleigh Barrow stay dry at the Northwest golf course.

On Sep. 9, the coed varsity golf team played in their third match at Needwood Golf Course, coming in fourth out of four teams. 

This match wasn’t that great but I’m just going to brush it off and move on.

— Rachel Cheung

During the match, players were placed into groups of four, and played nine holes in total. The team competed against other MCPS schools including Churchill, Bethesda Chevy-Chase and Sherwood. In their first match on Aug. 30, the team came in fourth out of four teams, and in their second match on Aug. 31, the team came in second out of four teams. In golf, players are ranked based on how low their score is. The lower the score, the higher the player is ranked. “This match wasn’t that great but I’m just going to brush it off and move on,” senior Rachel Cheung said. 

Sophomore Rita Liu had the best score out of all students from all schools who competed in the match. Liu is confident that the team will continue to improve through their weekly practices. “I’m excited for this season’s state championship since we missed it last season due to Covid,” Liu said.

As the season progresses, the team will continue to practice and improve their skill in order to prepare for the upcoming district championship held in Poolesville. The championship flight match is also held in Poolesville and the state championship will be held at the University of Maryland. Practices are held at Lakewood Country Club, and are 45 minutes. “I think the team didn’t do as well as I expected. Although we are improving, that’s a good thing,” Liu said.

This is Coach Sean Crawford’s first year coaching for coed varsity golf. During his time in high school, he played all four years for his school golf team, and went on to play for the University of Maryland all four years of college. Even though this is Crawford’s first year coaching for the coed golf team, he has been coaching for about four years at different camps and local golf courses. “I think we’ll do well when it comes to districts. Rita individually has a chance at winning state championships,” Crawford said

As a captain, Cheung has high expectations for this season. Cheung has played on the coed golf team since her sophomore year. Cheung played recreationally when she was younger, and stopped playing for a few years until playing for this school. To her, golf is a way to train mentally and physically. She uses the skills she has developed to stay calm and focused during matches, not letting the pressure get to her. This season she is most excited for the team’s overall spirit, since they are able to play normally after a Covid-19 season. “Rachel has helped out a lot with helping out the younger [players] know how the scheduling works, what to do and when to go,” Crawford said.

The golf team’s next match will be held on Sept. 28 at Little Bennett.