JV Baseball looks to bounce back in second half of season

Photo courtesy Ryan Kunst

Sophomores Ryan Kunst and Ethan Goldstein get ready to hit at their game against Blair on May 15.

After the first six games, the JV baseball team is sitting at a record of 2-4-1. The team looks to bounce back in their last three games of the season.

The JV team, led by sophomores Ryan Kunst, Ethan Goldstein, Nick Jayner, and Brandon Sun, have picked up two exciting wins so far. 

Sophomore outfielder and pitcher Ryan Kunst is confident in the team and believes that they are capable of winning lots of games this season and in the future. “I really like the group of guys we have this year, it’s always been a positive environment for us and everyone is focused on the same goal, winning as many games as possible,” Kunst said.

Late in their game against Blair, Brandon Sun pulled through in a big way by hitting a game-winning grand slam in a long at bat that Sun had to extend. He fouled off several pitches to stay alive and ultimately win his team the game. 

Sun didn’t think he hit the ball well when he hit the grand slam. “At first I thought that I had just hit a routine fly ball to the left fielder but then I heard my coach yelling ‘stay fair!’ and then I looked and saw the ball barely make it over the left field fence. It felt really good to help put my team in a winning position and I’m just glad that we were able to come away with a win in that game,” Sun said. 

The team has benefitted off of new additions such as freshman third baseman Malachi Reid,  sophomore middle infielder Arjun Ram and freshman catcher Lucas Sosa. 

As the team is nearing the end of their season they are focused on winning their last three games. 

I am confident that we will be able to close out our season the right way.

— Ethan Goldstein

Sophomore second baseman Ethan Goldstein is laser focused on helping his team close out their season the right way. “We’ve been practicing really hard these last couple of days and we are very eager to win the closing games of our season. I am confident that we will be able to close out our season the right way,” Goldstein said. 

The team looks to finish their season off strong with their next three games at Walter Johnson, against Whitman, and at Churchill.