Students have mixed opinions on going back second semester

Students haven’t walked through these doors in nine months due to Coronavirus.

Photo by Ryan McGraw

As Maryland’s Covid-19 cases spike across the state, MCPS has decided to delay the start of school from Jan. 12 to Feb. 1, a decision that has met mixed reactions around the county.

… I don’t think MCPS has a plan to keep the students safe yet.

— Miles Wiley

Some students think that with the cases continuing to rise and MCPS not having a set plan on going back, that returning to in-person is out of the question. “I don’t think going back to in-person school is the best option right now because Covid-19 is worse than ever right now and I don’t think MCPS has a plan to keep the students safe yet,” junior Miles Wiley said. 

Although some students don’t want to go back, others want to go back to school like how it was before Coronavirus In a school where there are over 2,000 students, MCPS would have to come up with a plan that would make it so only a limited number of students could go each day.

With Maryland still in stage 2 of Coronavirus restrictions and Coronavirus only seeming to get worse, it would be hard for school to come back in person, but students are hopeful. “If there is even a little chance we can go back to school, even if it’s a very limited number of students, I think MCPS should try and do it,” sophomore Peter Stanton Shepherd said.

Students also want to go back in person because of the sports season. Students think if they go back to in person there is a better chance that sports can be played. “I just hope we go back to school because I was really looking forward to this baseball season, especially since the last one got cancelled and I feel like there’s a better chance if we are in school for the seasons to start,” sophomore Josh Erd said.

If MCPS could find a way to have students come back to school in-person and make sure the students are safe, then it seems a majority of the students would choose to go back. That might be impossible with the rising number of Coronavirus cases and Maryland still being in stage 2 of Coronavirus restrictions. As much as we’re all sick of being stuck in our houses all day, it just might have to be the normal for a little longer.