Healthy, easy recipes to make at home

Photo by Mariel McInnes

Senior Ellie Esterowitz has fun baking cookies.

At this point in the pandemic, it is not easy to find variety in the foods students are making at home. Eating out is no longer convenient and not everyone is a top chef. Students must get creative when deciding what to eat each day.

Breakfast is a meal that some students opt out of but never should. It is the most important meal of the day and having new, simple recipes will add excitement to the morning. One recipe that is easy and almost anyone can eat is healthy banana oatmeal pancakes. Pancakes are always a great morning meal, but can be less healthy than students may want. These pancakes are dairy-free, gluten-free and contain no flour or added sugar. These will take around 20 minutes to make.

3 servings of Healthy Banana Oatmeal Pancakes (311 Calories, 12.2g protein)

Ingredients:

1. 2 medium ripe bananas
  2. 2 eggs
  3. ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
  4. 1 tsp vanilla extract
  5. 1 ½ cups of rolled oats (can substitute gluten-free oats if desired)
  6. 2 tsps baking powder
  7. ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  8. ¼ tsp salt
  9. Olive oil, for cooking

Directions: All ingredients are added to a blender and blend until smooth. Then they are added to a nonstick or oiled pan on medium heat and cooked for around three minutes on each side.

When lunch comes around, students are halfway through the school day and should be rewarded with an easy, energizing and healthy meal. So here we go: Fall quinoa salad. This salad is gluten-free and vegan but can also be accommodated to add meat or dairy if desired.
Fall Quinoa Salad:
Ingredients:

1. ¼ cup pomegranate juice
  2. 1 lemon, zest and juice only
  3. ¼-½ cup extra virgin olive oil
  4. Salt and Pepper, to taste
  5. 2 cups cooked quinoa (in Instant Pot or over stovetop), cooled slightly
  6. ⅓ cup walnuts (or any other seed or nut), toasted
  7. ⅓ cup parsley leaves, roughly chopped
  8. ⅓ cup green onion, sliced
  9. 1 small pomegranate, arils only
  10. ⅓ cup dried cherries or cranberries

Directions:

1. In a small bowl, whisk together pomegranate juice, lemon zest and juice, and olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Add more oil if needed. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, toss together quinoa, walnuts, parsley, green onion, pomegranate arils, and dried cranberries. Drizzle on vinaigrette to taste, and toss until well-coated. Salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Serve to others, or enjoy yourself.

The final meal of the day, dinner. If you are someone who eats meals made by parents, give them a break and try making your own meal. If you already make your own meals, this is going to be a fun, new one to try. This Skinny Alfredo is a classic heavy dish, but Delish has made it lighter and guilt-free, all in 30 minutes’ time.
4 servings of Skinny Alfredo:

Ingredients:

1. 12 oz. whole-wheat linguine
  2. 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
  3. 3 cloves garlic, minced
  4. 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
  5. 1 c. low-sodium chicken broth
  6. 3/4 c. 1% milk (can substitute plant-based, nut, or oat milk)
  7. 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan
  8. 2 tbsp. plain Greek yogurt (optional)
  9. Freshly ground black pepper
  10. Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
  11. Freshly chopped parsley, for serving

Directions:

1. In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook linguine according to package directions until al dente. Set aside ½ cup of pasta water, then drain pasta and set aside.
  2. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over evenly, then stir and cook until mixture is lightly golden.
  3. Very gradually add broth in while whisking, 2 tablespoons at a time, waiting for mixture to become completely smooth before adding more broth. Bring mixture to a boil, then gradually stream in milk while whisking. Bring to a simmer and cook until sauce is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat and add Parmesan and yogurt, if using. Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
  5. Add pasta and a ¼ cup reserved pasta water to sauce and toss to combine. If sauce is too thick add more pasta water, a tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency.
  6. Garnish with parsley before serving.

Don’t forget dessert. It will be easy to remember after reading this recipe: Healthy no-bake cookie bars. This can be modified to be dairy, peanut and gluten-free.
Healthy no-bake cookie bars:
Ingredients:

1. Pinch of salt
  2. 1 cup creamy peanut butter (or any butter of choice)
  3. ½ cup honey
  4. ½ cup milk of choice
  5. 3 cups quick-cook oats (can use gluten free oats)
  6. 1 ½ cups semisweet chocolate chips (can use dairy-free chocolate chips)
  7. 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Grease an 8×8 pan and set aside.
  2. Combine peanut butter, honey and milk in a medium pot over medium heat. Stir until well combined.
  3. Add remaining ingredients. Turn off heat and stir until the chocolate is melted.
  4. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and let cool slightly. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for an hour.
  5. Cut into bars and enjoy.

These are a few fun and simple recipes that anyone can make at home. If you have been finding yourself getting bored of the meals you have been making or want to spice up your day, making any of these meals is a great way to keep you happy and healthy.