How to stay positive during this unprecedented time

Justin Miller

Sophomores, Parker Lebowitz, Ethan Kuan, Eli Goozh and Zach Hallegean play basketball while being socially distanced.

Ever since Covid-19 struck, people’s lives have drastically changed. Many people are sad and disappointed that they can’t carry on with their lives as they usually do. Students who used to hate school have come to the realization that they took school for granted.

The hardest thing in life is staying positive when things are at their worst. A smart man once said, “The only thing permanent in life is impermanence.” That man was Thor.

Although Thor may be a fictional character, this quote can relate to everyone. What he is saying is that times are rough for everyone, but things will always change.

Students have found themselves bored at home not knowing what to do. As most teenagers do, they will sit in their room contemplating whether to get up and stress eat, or take their eighth nap of the day.

An article written by Mental Health America states that one of the best ways to stay positive is to keep doing what you enjoy the most. Although this quarantine has set boundaries on what we are and are not allowed to do, there is always a way to do what you love. If you love playing basketball, you can still get out of the house and shoot around at a nearby court. If you love hanging out with your friends, you can socially distance and talk in someone’s backyard.

The article by the MHA also talks about how staying active can keep you positive. Staying active takes your mind off the bad things happening and lets you focus on yourself. “I missed playing sports and hanging out with friends so when I was able to play lacrosse I felt so free and like things are going better,” sophomore Ethan Kuan said.

One other way to stay positive is meditation. Although meditating may seem boring and useless, a study by Author James Clear proved otherwise. “People who meditated also built valuable long–term skills. For example, three months after the experiment was over, the people who meditated daily continued to display increased mindfulness, purpose in life, social support, and decreased illness symptoms,” Clear said.

And if all of those ideas don’t work and you still are not thinking positive, just talk to a friend, loved one or trusted adult. When you are sad or feeling down, someone who cares about you can always make your day better.