Breakfast: Most important meal of the day?

Photo courtesy Ksusha Ulyanova
Sophomore Ksusha Ulyanova enjoya a hearty breakfast before school to prepare her for a long day ahead.

Coined simply as a marketing strategy, according to The Guardian, two brothers, John Kellogg and James Jackson claimed that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” in hopes of selling their new breakfast cereal. But behind the original intention, there is a degree of truth to the phrase.

Breakfast satisfies this claim because of the energy and mental alertness it provides after hours of rest. A good breakfast ensures a healthy person, but the issue for students and teachers alike is the lack of time paired with the effort required in making a healthy breakfast each morning.

With school nearing its end for the year, it becomes increasingly difficult to wake up at a time that accounts for getting ready, commuting to school and preparing breakfast and lunch for the day. Teachers often account for this by waking up earlier than the majority of students, “I eat the most embarrassing breakfast. Usually, it is a simple granola bar. I love breakfast though and wish I had the time to eat a good one. I would eat an egg and cheese sandwich on an everything bagel,” math teacher and Breakfast Club sponsor Sarah Spillman said.

This lack of sufficient time forces students and teachers both to resort to the most simple and quickest option, which is usually devoid of the nutrients required to keep you full and alert throughout the day. Students often struggle to pay attention to lessons and teachers become too tired to teach with their fullest potential.

Students usually have extracurricular activities after school, whether that be a club, sport or a job. In that case, it is most important to eat a full breakfast to ensure success within their after-school activity. For students like sophomore Ksusha Ulyanova, who have long practices right after school, “It’s really important for me to wake up earlier and make myself a good breakfast so that I’m not starving through the school day and so I can just eat something quick before I have to go to practice. Usually I eat avocado toast with fruit and sometimes, I add an egg on top,” Ulyanova said.

One of the most important departments in the school is the security. Providing all people in the building safety makes it even more important for security officers to be prepared for a full school day of aiding the students and staff. Security guard Ivan Hicks has a passion for a healthy breakfast. “The thing is that when you are sleeping, obviously you are not eating. So, when you get up in the morning, it’s very important to have something that is nutritious and filling to get that brain going and get your juices flowing. My ideal breakfast is an honest tie between fruit, because it’s so versatile, oatmeal and leftovers from last night’s dinner,” Hicks said.