SGA creates new programs to connect students virtually

Photo courtesy Ryan Meyer

SGA dresses up for pajama day during spirit week last year.

Student Government Association presidents Ellie Esterowitz and Owen Matus are working virtually with Black Student Union. They are making videos to educate students about social justice throughout this semester following national instances of racism.

SGA unites students by advocating for issues important to all students. SGA has to decide how they can use their resources to best support and educate students. Senior Mikey Fellman said, “SGA is probably busier than ever because there is so much going on in the community.”

One of the biggest issues that SGA has been trying to tackle is the parking at Rockshire. This has been an ongoing issue because there is the constant potential threat of students losing parking there.

This year, SGA has been off to a fast start. They have already created a plan on how they can best get things done virtually. All members have been involved, from the presidents to students new to the class. According to junior Nick Jones, so far this year SGA has “organized and conducted freshman elections, created the Mentor Program, created the first ever Wootton Executive Council and so much more.”

The main challenge that SGA has faced this year is how can they safely encourage school spirit by connecting students. Normally, this would consist of pep rallies and spirit weeks, but this year everything had to change. SGA held virtual spirit weeks where students dressed up in a different themed outfit every day of the week. They also had a challenge between grade levels where each grade built their ideal quarantine room.

Students who consider joining SGA struggle with the decision of whether or not they should use one of their class periods to be a part of SGA, as that limits their options of other classes to take. However, SGA is different than other clubs and classes as students can create change within the community. Senior Ryan Meyer said, “The highlights of SGA are getting a class period to spend time and collaborate with smart individuals to help make changes in the school.”

SGA’s theme this year is Unity Through Adversity. SGA adviser Fevronia Cresham said, “[SGA] encourages communication and tolerance in our student body and that is why we have a committee dedicated to diversity and inclusivity.”

SGA is one of the most unique classes as everything they do is for the entire student body and the school community. Everything is approved by administration, but SGA has a lot of freedom in deciding what they want to do with their funding.