Boredom busting socially-distanced activities begin as summer ends

Katelyn+Cheng

Junior Katelyn Cheng spends time with friends at a bonfire in October 2019.

Over the past few months, students were able to participate in activities such as sports, going on hikes and other warm weather outdoor activities. As summer comes to a close and the weather begins to get colder, fun things to do with friends and family while still continuing to stay socially distanced become harder to find.

Having a bonfire is a fun way to hang out with friends at a reasonable distance to prevent passing of the virus. Seats can be placed around a firepit outside and would allow each person to be seated far apart while still being able to see each other in person. “Although a bonfire may still have some risks, it is probably one of the best activities for social distancing around friends. I like the idea of roasting marshmallows or just talking with people in person after not seeing each other for a while,” senior Darcey Touchette said.

I think people can go pumpkin picking since you don’t need to be that close to each other and walking around can help allow for distance between each other.

— Katelyn Cheng

Students may also choose to go pumpkin picking in the fall. It is safe while students drive there in separate cars and meet at the orchard or pumpkin patch. “I think people can go pumpkin picking since you don’t need to be that close to each other and walking around can help allow for distance between each other,” junior Katelyn Cheng said.

In the fall season, a relaxing idea for social distancing hangouts is to set up a picnic in a park or anywhere that is somewhat secluded from large numbers of people. Setting up a picnic could be a quiet place for friends to talk and take photoshoots in a natural background. “I would like to maybe have a picnic with a few close friends who I know have been quarantined and practicing safe social distancing and take photoshoots together to reduce risk,” senior Val Zhao said.

As the holidays roll around, students will get the opportunity to participate in yearly events such as Markoffs and Field of Screams, which come around Halloween. “I go to Markoffs every year with my friends, so if they’re open this year, I think it would be fun to keep up the tradition,” Cheng said.

When choosing an activity to do as fall and winter approach, students should remember to social distance the best they can.