Students have mixed feelings about virtual learning

Amanda Schless

Freshman Naomi Esterowitz sits at her desk while composing her notes for class.

Four weeks in, students are still familiarizing themselves with the procedures that come with virtual learning. The schedule accommodates four one-hour class periods each day as well as non-mandatory class check-ins on Wednesdays. “Virtual learning is very difficult and has been hard for me. It’s not easy to learn without being present in a classroom and seeing everything in person and hands on. Although the workload is much less, I would much rather be in school,” freshman Naomi Esterowitz said.

Rather than having to get to school before the bell rings at 7:45 a.m.,the first period of the day begins at 9 a.m.. Teachers advise their students to be logged onto the class five minutes prior to the start time, as if they are in the school building. “I enjoy the fact that we get to sleep in because of virtual learning but I miss seeing my friends and interacting with my teachers. It is much more lax in terms of the start times to the classes and paying attention ,” senior Minnyi U said.

While virtual learning has taken a toll on certain aspects of school such as socializing and interactions, it has also given students the chance to become more dependent upon themselves. “I really miss being in school with all of my friends and being able to see everyone, but at the same time I enjoy the freedom of working at my own pace. Ever since school has been online, I have fewer distractions and I am able to focus on my studies,” sophomore Parker Leibowitz said.

I feel as though virtual learning is a good alternative to in person school, considering that is not an option. However, I think it is very difficult to learn a lot over the computer.

— Sophie Friedman

This is an unprecedented time for not only the students but for the teachers as well. During each class over Zoom, students are not required to have their cameras turned on, however this makes it challenging for the teachers to talk for an hour to over 20 blank screens. “I feel as though virtual learning is a good alternative to in person school, considering that is not an option. However, I think it is very difficult to learn a lot over the computer. I also feel really bad for the teachers who teach an entire class period without seeing kids’ faces,” junior Sophie Friedman said.