Celebrations ensue as women take spotlight

Women take many faces within our society. Women are doctors, lawyers, teachers, scientist and much more. It’s true: women make the world go round.

Throughout the month of March, the nation celebrates National Women’s History Month and acknowledges the diverse women who have made significant impacts on our world. National Women’s History month is not about celebrating the accomplishments of women in only the month of March, but rather a reminder of how much women can do. According to the National Women’s History Project (NWHP), National Women’s History Month was created after women noticed their lack of representation in education as children began to have the perception that women did not do anything of importance.

To change the perception of women in society, the NWHP was founded by a group of women. The NWHP lobbied Congress for the recognition of the efforts and accomplishments of women to be acknowledged annually. In 1987, the NWHP’s efforts were successful as Congress declared the entire month of March to be National Women’s History Month.

After the establishment of National Women’s History Month, the NWHP began working with schools, universities, churches, governments and communities to promote a multicultural history of women. The NWHP has continued to grow throughout the years by training over 30,000 teachers on women’s history.

During the month of March, there are many events held both nationwide and globally to celebrate women. However, the celebration of women continues every day as there are many ways to get involved and support women.

International Women’s Day
On March 8, different countries participated in International Women’s Day as a way to celebrate the achievements of women. The theme for this year’s International Women’s Day was #PressForProgress, with movements like #MeToo and #TimesUp becoming popular movements. The theme represents the goal of gender parity within society in which women should be treated equally to men.

The celebrations ranged from small to large as some chose to spend the day appreciating the women around them while others took to the streets to march and advocate for women’s rights. “I celebrated International Women’s Day because equality amongst the sexes is not a one sided battle. Both men and women need to work together. If only half the population fights for what is right, progress will be slow. I am a feminist and I proud to say that I am. Men everywhere don’t appreciate women nearly enough. We should at least praise them on International Women’s Day,” senior Avery Tarwater said.

If you did not have the option to celebrate International Women’s Day this year, consider adding it to your calendar and doing something special for the women around you and women everywhere.

Belmont-Paul Women’s Equality National Monument
In D.C., this national monument serves as a historical house filled with artifacts about various women throughout history. Visitors can reserve guided tours focused on topics such as the connection between Wonder Woman and the suffragette movement, and the connection between Star Trek and women’s equality. “I’ve definitely seen this house before when I was walking around in D.C.. I haven’t had the chance to look inside, but the exhibits seem cool and interesting. It would be fun to take my friends on a daytrip to D.C. and listen to one of the guided tours. I think it’s important to highlight monuments like these because a lot of people might not know about them,” senior Samreen Ali said.

During the entire month of March, the Belmont-Paul Women’s National Monument offers special events including speakers, walking tours and an open house. “The fact that this monument is inside a house, which is historic itself, shows that there is a lot of history at this monument. I’m interested in hearing how this house was created and how it became a monument,” senior Rifaa Qadri said.

She’s The First
The club focuses on creating gender equality within education. The She’s The First (STF) chapter here hosts various events such as writing letters to girls in foreign countries, celebrating iconic women and doing fundraisers for charities to help impoverished women. STF provides scholarships for young girls and helps them solve problems affecting their community.

STF is a way to show appreciation and give back to women around the world. “She’s The First is important because education is the one key solution to any global issue. Women’s empowerment through schooling and instruction will only improve and strengthen the political and economic situation in many countries,” junior Mina Senthil said.

Alyssa Bursie

Commons Editor