What is the world reading: YA Dystopian

Photo by Emma Karcz
Senior Jordyn Cottone reads the third book in the “Divergent” series, “Allegiant,” during free time in her first-period ASL class. “I love how powerful Tris is throughout the series,” Cottone said.

As an avid reader, I have read books across genres. One of my personal favorites is dystopian novels. To be considered a dystopian, a book must have “a place in which humanity is dehumanized, and people live fearful lives,” according to Miami Dade College. “Governing these societies are totalitarian regimes often faced with severe environmental catastrophes.”

The early 2010s marked a significant era for YA (young adult) dystopian novels. For instance, “The Hunger Games” was released in 2008, “The Maze Runner” in 2009 and “Divergent” and “Shatter Me” in 2011. These novels not only gained immense popularity but also paved the way for the production of three to four movies for each series, thereby expanding the fanbase.

I find dystopian books to be one of the most entertaining genres to read. The main character is typically a teenage girl fighting for a world that doesn’t want her. This makes these books relatable and more personal to read. “The Hunger Games,” by Suzanne Collins, follows 16-year-old Katniss Everdeen through being chosen for the Hunger Games. This televised game is held every year to manage the population and make sure the districts stay loyal to the government. There are 12 districts, and one girl and one boy are chosen for the games. hen Katniss’s 12-year-old sister Prim is chosen, she volunteers to take her place. The series progresses, and through trial and tribulation, Katniss stops the government’s tyranny and creates peace.

Similarly, “Divergent,” by Veronica Roth, follows 16-year-old Beatrice, or “Tris,” as she navigates feeling like she doesn’t fit in. Her society is divided into five factions in a world plagued by war to simulate peace between people. Tris is from “Abnegation,” the selfless faction that helps the factionless. She doesn’t feel selfless and often doesn’t fit in with her family. When it’s choosing day, Tris can choose a new faction, and she does, saying goodbye to her old life and embracing her new one. Tris deals with and overcomes adversity, which makes her even stronger in her fight against the corrupt government.

“Shatter Me,” by Tahereh Mafi, follows 16-year-old Juliette while she is locked up because no one can touch her. If anyone makes skin-to-skin contact with her, they die, and no one knows why. She fights for freedom and finally meets someone who can touch her. She feels like nothing is impossible anymore and, with her newfound confidence, fights to take down the government that locked her up and hid her away from the world.
These three books all follow similar outlines, and, while some readers may find this boring or repetitive, it’s essential. Oftentimes, young girls see a world so full of misogyny and male presence that it’s hard to believe they can do anything they want. These books, which are targeted at young audiences, show girls that they can do anything they want, no matter how big or small. Showing girls that people their age accomplish amazing things inspires them to reach for their dreams, and while they might not be as big as taking down the government, they are just as important.