What is the world reading: Romance season in full bloom

Photo by Emma Karcz
Junior Emma Karcz’s bookshelf shows a variety of romance books and other genres she has enjoyed over the years.

Each month offers readers new releases from their favorite authors: varying from an anticipated continuation of a series, or a brand new world for people to dive into. With spring blooming, in readers’ minds, it’s the start of romance season, and new books in that genre are being released.

Emily Henry’s new book, New York Times best-seller “Funny Story” releases on Apr. 23. With a combined 32% share of total romance book sales, there is no doubt Henry is a favorite among readers. Previous books “Book Lovers,” “Beach Read,” “People We Meet on Vacation” and “Happy Place” have all been instant successes for Henry and have grown her following even more. After the main character, Daphne’s husband leaves her for his childhood best friend Petra, she starts her new life in Michigan, and Daphne runs into the last person she’d expect Petras’s ex. Readers who received an ARC (advanced reader’s copy) of the book left amazing reviews, making readers anticipate this book even more.

Another popular rom-com author, Abby Jimenez released her new book “Just for the Summer” on Apr. 2. The male main character Justin believes he is cursed with his luck with women. After finding someone in the same predicament, they devise a plan to date and then break up to break their curse. Spending time together on a private island on Lake Minnetonka brings these two closer than ever, and the impending breakup starts to feel like less of a good idea. “This witty, slow-burn rom-com is the “ideal beach read,”‘ Elle Magazine said.

A widely-loved and break-out romance author of this past year is releasing her new anticipated series. Elise Silver’s Chesnut Spring series blew up on the readers’ side of TikTok, Booktok. The five-book series gives readers five different couples to fall in love with. Each plot is connected but has a storyline of its own. After the love this series got, Silver was ecstatic to release her new book “Wild Love.” The first book in her new “Rose Hill” series follows a city girl moving to the country, meeting a boy, and falling in love. Released on Apr. 9, fans ran to Barnes and Noble to pick it up before it sold out.

Sarah Adams’ new book, “The Rule Book,” is a companion novel to her best seller, “The Cheat Sheet.” It is a fun romance story about the male main character and football player Nathan trying to get his best friend Bree to fall in love with him. “The Rule Book” follows a new couple – famous NFL player Derek and sports analyst Nora – who just so happen to be exes. The pair has to work together through grudges and bad blood, keeping readers on their toes. Released on Apr. 2, fans were ecstatic. “A really fun, chemistry-filled sports romance you don’t want to miss,” Hannah Grace, author of Icebreaker, said to Penguin Random House.

Best-selling author Lynn Painter also released her new adult romance “Happily Never After.” What could be considered the definition of a romantic comedy, “Happily Never After” follows two anti-love individuals whose job is to break off weddings. They start working together and unexpectedly fall in love themselves, the exact opposite of everything they believe in. Released on Mar. 12, fans raved over this new installment of Painter’s bibliography.