Is the minimum wage enough?

Photo by Catherine Clark
Seniors Emily Miranda and Catherine Clark drop off food ordered through Doordash over a weekend.

Part time jobs such as hosts/hostesses, retail jobs, babysitting, lifeguarding and more are common work commitments among teenagers. Whether these commitments be after school or on weekends, students have to make time for their jobs while also balancing schoolwork.

Minimum wage in Maryland currently stands at $15 per hour, which started Jan. 1. . This was an increase from the previous wage of $13.25 an hour. One belief is that depending on the intensity of the job, the amount of money being paid should vary. Sophomore Zoi Bourazani agrees. “I think that $15 per hour is a good place to start especially if it is a basic job like a hostess or cashier, but I feel like jobs that require more vigorous work like lifeguarding should have a higher pay since they are there to potentially help save lives in emergencies,” Bourazani said.

Junior Jennifer Miranda babysits two children, usually working one to three times a week. Miranda gets paid $20 per hour and usually babysits the kids for four hours or more. Miranda has a similar opinion as Bourazani. “I think [pay] definitely should [vary], especially in fields of work that have been having underpaid job services like retail, food service and different needed government services like teachers, first responders, transportation operators, and so much more,” Miranda said.

Junior Salwa Moumneh’s opinion is in the middle. “On one hand, raising the minimum wage could potentially improve the standard of living for low-income workers, reduce income inequality, and stimulate economic growth. It could provide workers with more financial stability and purchasing power. On the other hand, some people could argue that increasing the minimum wage could lead to job losses, especially for small businesses that may struggle to afford higher labor costs,” Moumneh said.

Students who are taking on part time jobs rely on the income they are receiving to help fund their education, or to contribute to their households. Raising the minimum wage would make it easier for students to work their part time jobs and attend school without feeling like they are getting underpaid for the amount of work they are doing while balancing their sports or club responsibilities. It can be argued that if the minimum wage were to be raised it would stimulate consumer spending and increase the economy by giving more money than the government is already giving to low-wage workers. On the other hand, increasing the minimum wage would also increase the federal budget deficit, as well as increase labor costs for goods and services.

Minimum wage is an insufficient income to pay for life expenses. Minimum wage is the least amount a worker can be paid legally. Minimum wage should be raised to cover expenses in everyday lifestyles.