Where do students like to sit during lunch?

Photo by AJ Shiflett
Students eat lunch in the hallway above the Commons, one of the most populated hallways in the school.

One walk around the school during lunch and you will see hundreds of people scattered around in their preferred groups and favorite locations. So the question is, what factors attract students to certain spots during their free lunch period? Are there certain views, classes with entertaining teachers, or air-conditioned spots that contribute to their decision?

One option for students is to eat inside of classrooms. Students like to spend time with their favorite teachers, while also having a relatively quiet area to get ahead of their school work. Also, the comfortable seats are preferable in comparison to the hard hallway floors. “I really enjoy sitting in Mr. Pec’s room for advisory and sometimes lunch because I am able to get my work done in a productive manner. He is also my English teacher so I’m able to get my English help,” junior Miles Sklar said.

The most populated spot to eat is along the hallways. It is likely due to the practically unlimited room that opens up opportunities for students to sit in groups as much as they like. Students strategize their location based on their sixth period class, so they can quickly get to their spot. “It’s near my next class so I like the convenience of being able to take my time when the bell rings,” sophomore Bryson Filbert said.

The Commons attracts students due to the events that take place during spirit weeks and SGA-sponsored occasions. It is also an open space with close proximity to the courtyard and the gym. It is especially populated during advisory when students linger and talk before sitting down at their preferred spot.

Most people haven’t moved since their first day of freshman year, when they unconsciously set a tradition for the rest of their high school careers. Others don’t mind where they sit and have followed their friends to fulfill their hopes for the ideal lunch location. “I sit with my friends who like to sit near their next class and have a relatively quiet place to study,” sophomore Tanner Cornet said.

A dilemma about the best places to eat derives from the outside versus inside debate. Throughout the year, people fluctuate between the two, depending on weather. Outside can be considered inconsistent, due to rainy or even snowy conditions. Students aren’t typically outside throughout the months of winter, but tend to sit outside more often as the temperature flips into spring. It can be especially attractive when the sun is out and the weather is nice. In an article by the National Library of Medicine, researchers performed a study and “found an association between decreased exposure to sunlight and increased probability of cognitive impairment using a novel data source.” Sunlight throughout the day can help your brain focus and perform to its best ability for your afternoon classes.