Popcorn kingdoms and cell phone silencers: The wild world of movie theaters

Photo by Marley Hoffman
Cinépolis Luxury Cinema opened on Sept. 20, 2019, and was the first Cinépolis to open in Maryland.

Say you want to see a movie, but can’t figure out which theater is the best in the Montgomery County area. Factors include the cost of tickets, food, seats, and how those factors come together. Here is a rundown of four top movie theaters nearby.

One of the most popular cinemas is AMC Montgomery, which is located in Montgomery Mall above the food court. A recent upgrade cost $26 million, and included a shift from unmovable to reclining seats. The food options vary from snacks such as popcorn and candy to meals like sliders and hotdogs. Ticket prices range depending on age. Adults (12 and above) cost $15.99 per ticket, children (2-12) cost $12.99 and seniors (ages 60+) cost $14.49. AMC Montgomery is the perfect cinema for a good price, for food and entertainment. “AMC Montgomery is my favorite movie theater because it’s very spacious in the theater and the seats are comfortable,” sophomore Gabriella Gbebry said.

Another cinema is IPIC Theater, located at 11830 Grand Park Ave, North Bethesda (Pike & Rose). IPIC features a dine-in menu inside the theater for enjoyment during the movie. IPIC is a newer theater, opened in 2010. The menu ranges from popcorn and snacks to full meals, including appetizers and entrees. IPIC theaters have large reclining chairs throughout the theater, but seating options vary. In the front nearest the screen there is standard seating, which costs around $16; further back are premium plus seats, which cost $21. IPIC is a good choice to sit back and relax for a slightly higher price.

Regal Rockville is located at 199 E Montgomery Ave. Regal is a great option to get all the best benefits of a luxury movie theater for a lower price. Regal has reclining seats in all theaters as well as stadium seating, meaning the seats go straight up and there are no different premier levels. The cinema has concessions outside the theater as well as the option to dine in during the movie. Adult tickets cost $16.50, child tickets cost $14.30 and senior tickets cost $14.30. There is easy access to buying tickets online or in person, and online there is the option to choose your seat ahead of time.

Cinépolis Gaithersburg is located at 629 Center Point Way, in the Kentlands and opened in 2019. This theater offers fully reclining seats and surround sound that makes you feel like you’re part of the movie. Food options include movie theater classics with a twist and signature gourmet dishes. The seating arrangements are couches with two large seats that are connected. The size of the theaters vary but this does not affect the prices for seats. The seats cost $15 for adults, $12 for children (12 and under) and $7 for senior citizens (60+). If you want to have a remarkable experience, enjoy great food and comfortable seating for a reasonable price, Cinépolis Gaithersburg is the place to go in MoCo. “I really like Cinépolis in the Kentlands because it is not only seeing a movie but a whole experience, with the large screens, surround sound, and great food,” junior Shayan Kurup said.