Upcoming spring, summer 2024 films, Dune: Part Two, Deadpool and Wolverine

Photo by Zachary Derman
Sophomore Xavier Marcus watches the Super Bowl trailer for Marvel Studios’ “Deadpool and Wolverine.” The trailer shows Ryan Reynolds’ Deadpool lying on the ground, as the silhouette of Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine stands over him.

2023 was a subpar year at best when it came to the film industry, with the exception of Barbie and Oppenheimer. Several big films came out with diminishing returns and less than adequate quality such as The Flash or the new Indiana Jones film. However, 2024 is shaping up to be a far better year in terms of the quality and box office of films.

Most likely to be the biggest film of the year, Marvel Studios’ Deadpool and Wolverine hits theaters on Jul. 26. The film will be the first R-rated feature in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and will follow the merc with a mouth going through the multiverse, as well as killing the Fox universe. “I’m super excited for the release of Deadpool 3. I loved the first two movies and feel like we haven’t had a good superhero movie recently so Deadpool 3 is the change we need,” junior Charles Freedman said.

Dune: Part Two just recently released on Mar. 1 to critical acclaim and has become the highest-rated film on IMDb with a current rating of 9.4 and a Rotten Tomatoes score of 97%. The film is said to be a “cinematic masterpiece” and is a looser adaptation of the second half of Frank Herbert’s science fiction epic. “The novel was interesting along with the first movie so I can’t wait to see what the new movie is,” freshman Blake Fenn said.

Other sequels releasing this month include Kung Fu Panda 4, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire and Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire releasing on Mar. 8, Mar. 22 and Mar. 29 respectively.

May will be less packed but is looking to deliver some exciting films. The likes include Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, Furiosa and The Fall Guy releasing on May, 3, May 10 and May 24, respectively. The new Planet of the Apes film is a sequel to the Matt Reeves-directed trilogy, taking place a few hundred years later. Furiosa is a new Mad Max film that serves as a prequel to the previous film and The Fall Guy is the latest Ryan Gosling flick based off of the classic TV show of the same name.

Disney is bringing out yet another sequel this year, Inside Out 2, which will introduce new emotions such as anxiety. This is one of many confirmed Disney sequels, the likes include: Toy Story 5, Frozen 3, Moana 2 and Zootopia 2. The lack of originality and creativity in this company has been telling.

One of the best movie studios working today is an independent film studio, A24, which has made Oscar-winning films such as Everything Everywhere All at Once. The studio plans to release a sequel to their 2022 film, X, titled, Maxxxine. “I’m most excited for Maxxxine with Mia Goth. I really loved X and I am excited for the ‘80s version of it,” junior Miles Sklar said.
There are even more exciting movies releasing in the back half of this year, but this is just a taste of this year’s movies.