Ryan Gosling nominated for Best Supporting Actor, calls out Oscar snubs

Photo by Lale Olguin
Freshman Portia Spiker reads a People article on Ryan Gosling’s Oscar nomination. Spiker is one of the people who disagree with Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie’s Oscar snubs. “They deserve actual recognition for their work,” Spiker said.

As anticipated, “Barbie” was one of the three movies nominated for 2024 Academy Award nominations, including Ryan Gosling for Best Supporting Actor. However, fans of “Barbie” have mixed views, including Gosling himself.

“Barbie” was released on Jul 21, 2023, and immediately became incredibly popular. According to CNBC News, “In the end, nothing could top “Barbie.” Greta Gerwig’s smash hit ended the year as the highest-grossing film of 2023, having raked in more than $1.4 billion since hitting theaters in July.”

The movie, directed by Greta Gerwig, starred prominent actors and actresses, including Margot Robbie as Barbie, Ryan Gosling as Ken, and featured Issa Rae, Will Ferrel, Simu Liu, Emma Mackey, Kate McKinnon, America Ferrera, Ariana Greenblatt and even had a cameo for Dua Lipa as mermaid, who sung “Dance The Night” (From Barbie The Album).

Naturally, for such an iconic and popular movie in 2023 that featured so many notable actors and actresses, “Barbie” won the Golden Globe Award for Cinematic and Box Office Achievement, the Critics’ Choice Movie Award for Best Comedy, the Critics’ Choice Movie Award for Best Production Design, and countless of other significant film awards.

On Jan. 23, the 96th Academy Awards announced the 2024 Oscar nominations, which included Ryan Gosling nominated for best supporting actor in “Barbie.” Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie were not nominated for their roles in creating the film.

Dubbed as “the most controversial snubbing of the 2024 Oscar nominations” by Time Magazine, “Barbie” fans were quick to notice the irony of Gerwig and Robbie being snubbed for Best Director and Best Actress. For a movie so focused on highlighting the struggle of being a woman in today’s world and the infiltration of patriarchy into society, not giving Gerwig and Robbie recognition for their work on “Barbie” seems ironic.

Even Gosling spoke out about the Oscar snubs, saying “There is no Ken without Barbie, and there is no Barbie movie without Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie, the two people most responsible for this history-making, globally-celebrated film. No recognition would be possible for anyone on the film without their talent, grit and genius,” Gosling said in a statement shared with PEOPLE.

Freshman Portia Spiker, who watched “Barbie” right when it came out in July, agreed with the disappointing and upsetting Oscar snubs. “I mean, it’s great that Ryan Gosling got nominated, but Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie are the main creators of the movie in general. It’s confusing that the two most hard-working women, literally the director and the main character, who worked arguably the most on the movie weren’t given recognition for their work on Barbie,” said Spiker.

English teacher Zachary Lowe voiced similar opinions regarding Gerwig and Robbie’s Oscar snubs. “I think that for such a prominent movie, it was honestly just disappointing that Greta Gerwig didn’t receive the recognition she deserves. “Barbie” was such a well-designed, well-made movie, and the director who created this film should be given acknowledgement for her work,” Lowe said.

Although America Ferrera was nominated for Best Actress in a Supporting Role, “Barbie” didn’t direct itself, and the Oscars ultimately failed to give Gerwig and Robbie recognition and praise for their outstanding work. It’s important for great people to be given acknowledgment, especially for the highest-grossing movie of 2023.