What classes are students most excited to take next year?

Photo by AJ Shiflett
Junior Thomas Mehler inspects classes offered for the 2024-2025 school year.

This school offers over 100 intriguing courses to students throughout their four-year academic journey. Only 20 credits are required for a student to graduate, which leaves a plethora of elective options that excite students. Out of this multitude, which classes are students most excited to take next year?

Students are given the option to enroll in classes that capture various interests, giving students ideas for future career paths. These include topics that students haven’t been exposed to prior, and can be an eye-opening opportunity to learn about something new. Students are permitted to take a number of elective classes including art, business, history, math and science courses. This wide range of classes gives students the ability to choose their preferred schedule.

Junior Tyler Siegel is looking forward to his nutrition class. Honors Nutrition is a science-based class that informs students on how to make healthy lifestyle choices. The course includes cooking and baking lab activities that engage students into an entertaining learning environment. “I am excited to learn how to manage my health through the lens of eating,” Siegel said.

Dual Enrollment is also an eagerly awaited course option for students. The college-level classes take place at Montgomery College and get students ready for the next step in their education. Junior Emily Teague will be taking an architecture course, as she thinks this will develop her knowledge of this subject further. “I am going to learn life skills that will help me in my future career,” Teague said.

The physical education department holds thrilling classes that are high on student’s list. Junior Matthew Kunst is eager to take the weight/strength training and conditioning class because it provides a fun and educational environment. The class works to teach students how to safely and carefully build strength and conditioning. “I want to take weight training because I like to move around and work out, and I want to learn what is best for my exercise and strength,” Kunst said.

Another highly interesting class for students is AP Psychology. This class introduces ideas about behavior and studies of the brain. Students learn different phenomena about perception, learning, behavior, motivation, sensation and brain development. This AP class is one that sophomore Charles Gray is looking forward to. “It is a topic I am interested in and the brain is very interesting to me,” Gray said.

Computer science is a required credit that students can obtain through AP Computer Science Principles, or Foundations of Computer Science. These classes introduce students to computing concepts and educate them on how they are applied to today’s world. Students are given the chance to code their own projects, giving them both knowledge and enjoyment that they can use in further advanced courses. “I really like the fact that it looks good for college and how it is essential to my education,” sophomore Luca Phillips said.