Restorative justice committee brings No Place for Hate initiative to school

Photo by Lea Weinstein
The Restorative Justice committee created a mural filled with signatures of students and staff around the school to promote the No Place for Hate initiative. The mural can be found on the Commons bridge.

This school year, the Restorative Justice committee spearheaded the No Place for Hate project, which goes hand in hand with the Anti-Defamation League’s No Place for Hate initiative.

The initiative is based on the idea that everyone should feel welcome in an environment regardless of gender ethnicity, race or sexuality. This initiative is commonly used to combat hate in schools. “It is a student-led movement to create long-term solutions that establish and maintain positive learning experiences where no student is targeted or isolated because of who they are,” Restorative Justice coach Lindsey Vance said.

The Initiative is led by students as well as staff members. This includes clubs in the school such as the Jewish Student Union, Muslim Student Association and National Honor Society. Individual students have also taken a role in the initiative by planning events and filming videos to explain its purpose and raise awareness. “As a student, I feel the NPFH organization is crucial to our community. Diversity is crucial in society and learning about our classmates and teachers helps unify our community,” junior Rachel Reinstein said.

The students and staff who are leading this initiative are part of the Restorative Justice Committee. During an advisory lesson, students were asked to sign a “No Place for Hate” pledge as a way to combat the rise in hate incidents within the school. A video presentation made by members of the Restorative Justice Committee. “No Place for Hate spreads an important message about inclusivity and listening to each other’s perspectives and ideas while helping Wootton maintain a respectful environment,” senior and initiative head Lily King said.

The pledge was signed during a week-long period in December. A mural was made and hung near the Commons bridge to demonstrate the new initiative. “We encourage students to visit the bridge over the Commons to learn more about how to get more involved in this work through participation in our school’s leadership and culture clubs,” Vance said.

The idea to bring the initiative to this school stemmed from students and staff wanting to promote spaces where everyone feels included and valued. Setting up the entirety of the program was a collaborative process between both students and staff members that involved brainstorming, discussions and decision-making. “This program means that our school is a safe space for every student in our school,” King said.

Recent events seen in the media and in the world led school leadership to determine that it’s important to ensure that this school is a safe environment for everybody. “It is important to acknowledge that as a school community, we still have work to do to ensure that Wotton is a safe, inclusive, and welcoming environment for all students,” Vance said.