Students on mission to find best chocolate chip cookie in town

Photo by Danielle Ram
Seniors Matthew Repie and Daniel Son enjoy reviewing cookies.

Cookie lovers have their own opinions on the best producer of the classic sweet treat, the chocolate chip cookie. To find a true winner, students taste-tested cookies from Crumbl Cookies, Giant, Chips Ahoy and McDonald’s.

The first cookie was from Crumbl Cookies, a newer franchise that has been popular here for the past four years. At Crumbl, they focus on transforming different desserts into cookies. With a weekly rotating menu, they are able to keep customers coming often due to their desire to try new flavors. Crumbl has a staple cookie that is constantly on their menu throughout each week, the semi-sweet chocolate chip cookie. This medium-sized cookie is warmed and sold for $5.23.

The next cookie tried was from Giant. Giant bakes their cookies fresh every morning and sells their palm-sized classic chocolate chip cookie for $1.79, a great price for the size of this cookie.

The third cookie students tried was from McDonald’s. This warm and almost homemade-tasting chocolate chip cookie is a classic. Though it isn’t local to us, the McDonald’s cookie was a must-have on this list thanks to its high popularity. Selling for $1.58, this cookie is hard to mess up.

Lastly, the snacking chocolate chip cookie produced by Chips Ahoy is a great option when you want to grab a cookie out of the pantry. It pairs well with milk or a cup of coffee. A box is sold for $4.99 at Giant or other local grocery stores.

Four students from all grades were asked to try all four flavors and review them in hopes to find the best chocolate chip cookie in town. “I would have to say Crumbl Cookies was my favorite, it had nice melted chocolate and tasted the best. Next, the Giant cookie, it was similar to McDonald’s but a little better. Then I would put the McDonald’s cookie in third place because it was good but nothing special. Lastly I would have to put the Chips Ahoy cookie at fourth. It was smaller and harder than the rest and the chocolate chunks were not as good, “ junior Toby Subiela said.

The hunt to get more opinions continued. “I put the Giant cookie first because it was very flavorful and not too rich. In second place I would put the Crumbl Cookie. It was gooey and chunky. McDonald’s comes in third because it was basic but still good. Last place was the Chips Ahoy cookie, it was good but not as good as the others,” freshman Alex Rabin said.

Eventually, a tester did enjoy the Chips Ahoy cookie. “I actually like the Chips Ahoy cookie the best. It doesn’t make you feel sick, but you get the craving for something sweet out of the way. Then I would put the Crumbl Cookies because it was soft and flavorful. In third place would be Giant. It was crispy and not overwhelming. Lastly is McDonald’s, it was good but nothing crazy. They are all great cookie options though,” senior Daniel Son said.

For the last review, a cookie lover, senior Matthew Repie, had tough opinions on each cookie. “In first place, Crumbl Cookie takes the win, it was the softest and sweetest cookie. In second place, McDonald’s had a nice, sweet and chewy cookie. The temperature was perfect and the chocolate was solid. Giant came in third place; it was dry and crumby, and the consistency wasn’t good. Overall it was a very average cookie. Lastly, was the Chips Ahoy. It is a low class cookie, it’s dry and crunchy,” Repie said.

From this unscientific research, it seems the Chips Ahoy cookie was the lowest ranking for the majority of taste-testers. If you’re planning on going to Giant for some cookies, you should skip the processed box of Chips Ahoy and instead grab one of Giant’s home-made cookies to please your sweet tooth. McDonald’s has a staple chocolate chip cookie for a good price. Lastly, Crumbl Cookies was ranked first place for half of the voters, indicating the flavor is well worth the price.