‘Tis the season of giving; How to donate

Photo by Maddy Matthews
The SGA food drive bin held from Nov. 27 to Dec. 1 fills up with goods to be donated.

It’s that time again; the long stretch between Thanksgiving break and winter break. Instead of dwelling on the rigorous month-long stretch of school work, the school has opened opportunities for students and staff to give back to the community.

SGA’s theme for this school year is “Wootton Gives Back,” inspiring students to give back to the community while SGA also focuses on giving back to our students and staff. SGA held a Thanksgiving food drive on Nov. 27 – Dec. 1 to kickstart the holiday season. They collected canned goods and non-perishables, which could be dropped off in the main office or in room 181. SGA hopes to host a toy drive to support our community if you missed the first-holiday drive. Members are in the process of drafting and proposing this idea.

The “So What Else?” club holds a monthly fundraiser for their non-profit organization. After successful food drives in September and October, the club is preparing for the December fundraiser. Proceeds go toward food and materials for those in need. The club leaders also lead by example and volunteer at food pantries, encouraging other students to do the same.

Splanning introduced a new committee this school year called “Surprise Squad,” which is another way students are spreading kindness throughout the school. Surprise Squad passes treats to seniors, surprises seniors with balloons on their birthdays and passes notes filled with inspiring words to students. “I’m excited to give my friends and classmates surprises to brighten their days. Even a piece of candy or a balloon can make someone feel special,” Splanner Sofia Gabrielle said. Students can DM Splanning’s Surprise Squad to submit a note or a request for a treat to be passed on to one of their fellow classmates or friends.

Honors societies are assisting the community year-round by offering tutoring resources and participating in volunteer activities. The National Honors Society is currently working with MoCo EmpowHER, an MCPS leadership organization, allowing members to get credits for a bake sale on Dec. 13 at Carver Educational Services Center.

Aside from the endless opportunities to give back at school, there are opportunities to get involved in MCPS and Rockville donation drives. Organizations you can donate clothes at include Goodwill located on Rockville Pike and nonprofits such as Interfaith Clothing Center. Further, there are clothing drop-off bins all around the community. One is located in the CVS parking lot off Darnestown Rd. To find more information about places you can donate visit: https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/volunteercenter/volunteers/Donations.html