New holiday movies to add to your rotation

Photo courtesy Netflix Instagram
The movie “Christmas as Usual,” streaming on Netflix is a great option to get in the holiday spirit.

As decorations go up and winter break nears, it’s crucial to have the perfect holiday movie rotation to watch on snow days stuck inside or during movie nights sipping hot cocoa. Even if all the classics have already been added to a list of must-watches, there might be a few not-so-familiar favorites still waiting to be discovered this season. Whether students prefer cliche Hallmark movies or cheesy rom-coms, there is holiday media for everybody.

For a humorous yet touching tale about two cultures colliding, “Christmas As Usual,” streaming on Netflix, provides a powerful commentary on embracing the differences in our cultures as well as a silly story about holiday traditions. The movie follows an interracial couple, Thea and Jashan, as they visit Thea’s family in Norway for Christmas and trouble ensues when there is a cultural divide. The movie portrays serious issues like dealing with grief, not feeling accepted and the complexities of all kinds of relationships with the solemnity these situations require. But it also manages to leave viewers with a feel-good warmth. There are laughable moments that clear up the air after a serious scene and it’s a great watch with both friends and significant others.

For a more family-oriented movie, “Candy Cane Lane,” streaming on Amazon Prime, tells the story of a family led astray from the true meaning of Christmas and how a tricky elf inadvertently brings them back together through a series of quirky tasks. This is a light story that can be easily followed and jumped right into. While the troupe of a busy father figure never making time for his family and being forced to reconcile with them has become tired, “Candy Cane Lane” puts a modern twist to this age-old tale. The jokes are witty and don’t feel forced, making it easy to feel invested in this story. The holiday spirit shines through brightly in this film and can be enjoyed by all ages.

If you’re going for a more lighthearted movie filled with cliches, “EXmas,” streaming on Amazon Prime, is a movie for you. This Hallmark-style tale combines different types of characters who bring to life the notion that found families can be just as important as traditional families. This story takes place in Minnesota, where a man’s ex-fiancé is so well-liked that she gets invited to all their family events, including Christmas, and this results in some unique situations. “EXmas” is a great watch with a found family of your own, and can be a great way to bond with friends.

These movies are great to watch in a group or when you need a pick-me-up. The lighthearted nature of the season of giving is a theme across all these movies and they are a great way to get excited about this season. No matter what holiday students celebrate, the classics and newfound favorites are always a great way to celebrate.