A definitive guide to Rockville Pike

Photo by Claire Lenkin
Congressional Plaza is a local favorite, featuring a variety of store and restaurant options.

The Pike: just a 10-minute drive from our school there are multiple shopping centers up and down Rockville Pike that students love to visit. With so many choices on the Pike, it can be hard to find somewhere to stop, whether for a meal, to go shopping, or to hang out with friends. Here is my definitive ranking of the shopping centers along the Pike, with some recommendations of where to go at each location.

Coming in fourth, I strongly believe that Montrose Crossing Shopping Center is on the rise, but needs some more spots to slide up in the rankings. Student favorites include Cava, Five Guys, and Honeygrow. Although this shopping center has some great food spots, the activities are lacking, which is what drags it down. However, I think this shopping center is perfect for those looking for a quick bite.

Third, I will be putting Wintergreen Plaza, which has a great mix of typical stores and food but has a strange parking situation and vibe overall that keep me from putting it any higher. It has great sports-related businesses like Rockville Soccer and Tennistopia for the athletes, and chains in Chipotle, Starbucks, and Jersey Mikes. While I don’t frequent this shopping center, I have to shout out its variety.

Federal Plaza will be in second. It’s a personal favorite of mine but is dominated by restaurants and food businesses, which keeps it at second. Federal Plaza is home to local institution Silver Diner, a Crumbl Cookies location, a Trader Joe’s, and Great Harvest Bread Company; all magnificent places to go for a meal, snack, or some groceries. Despite its lack of non-food businesses, the quality of the shops there can not be overlooked.

And finally, first place, and my most frequented and favorite shopping center; the infamous Congressional Plaza. Not to be confused with Congressional North, Congressional offers multitudes of amazing establishments that anyone will enjoy. It has too many great restaurants to list, but I recommend Noodles and Company for a quick bite, Taco Bamba for Mexican, and Matchbox for a sit-down environment. It also offers a Barnes and Noble, great for students to shop for new books and sit down at the adjoining Starbucks cafe. There are other great spots at this shopping center, but I recommend taking a visit yourself and finding your personal favorites.

Other places on the Pike may not be in a specific shopping center but are still amazing, so our honorable mention for this article will be Hangry Joes. Slightly up the Pike, it’s farther from most places in this article, but it is fantastic for anyone looking for a good chicken dish.