Breakfast – the most important meal of the day

Photo by Gurnoor Sodhi
Senior Jake Kelley attributes his touchdown catch to the pound of grass-fed beef he ate for breakfast.

Studies show eating breakfast is beneficial for maintaining energy levels and getting various vitamins, especially for athletes.
The term breakfast comes from the literal meanings of both break and fast. Breakfast is the meal where we break the fast we started the previous night after dinner. Since there is usually plenty of time during the fast, which begins after dinner, it is crucial to eat breakfast to boost our energy supply. According to Better Health Channel, when we wake up in the morning our glycogen levels are low and our body will begin breaking down fatty acids for our energy.

The issue is that these fatty acids are not fully oxidized without carbohydrates, so our energy will be lower. We can combat this by eating breakfast to raise our glycogen levels back up, restoring our energy levels. “Eating breakfast in the morning fuels our brain in the morning. Normally for me, if I barely eat anything in the morning or not eat at all, I usually have a hard time starting in the morning,” senior varsity soccer player John Yi said.

Although there is evidence in favor of eating breakfast, concerns with the validity of studies done remain. According to dietician Lindsey DeSoto in Medical News Today, even though a certain group of studies show that people who eat breakfast have a reduced risk for various diseases, it cannot actually prove that eating breakfast is a direct cause of these reduced risks. Further, for each person, the results of eating breakfast may vary. “I feel a lot worse when I eat breakfast because it’s too early to be eating,” junior football player Ben Phillips said.

According to DeSoto, people who skip breakfast also miss out on some common nutrients such as folate, calcium, iron and vitamin A. Senior football player Jake Kelley takes his diet seriously in order to help maximize his performance on game days. “It’s important during the season [to have breakfast] since I’m not lifting as much. I have to keep my diet on point so I don’t lose muscle,” Kelley said.

A balanced breakfast will include all three macronutrients; protein, fats and carbohydrates. “Usually I have one pound of grass-fed beef or 10 eggs [for breakfast]. I pair it with honey and some fruit,” Kelley said.

It is especially important for athletes to consume breakfast as they are extremely active. According to the New South Wales Institute of Sport, when athletes don’t eat breakfast their “body is then forced to find energy through breaking down the body’s stores – including muscles – which is a slow and inefficient process to best fuel training.”

Aside from its health benefits, having breakfast regularly can also be a great practice that promotes discipline. People can stray away from breakfast because it is too time-consuming or because they don’t prioritize it. “Despite the nutritional benefits of eating a good breakfast, I think it builds discipline to be able to eat the right things and in a timely manner on a daily basis…eating breakfast is crucial for a successful day in my opinion,” Yi said.